PDA

View Full Version : New 6.2/6.5 Drivetrain Forum!

More Power
10-05-2006, 21:27
This is something we've needed for quite some time - a drivetrain forum focusing on the 1982-2000 trucks & SUV's... Thanks to the urging of Robyn and DmaxMaverick, we've added one... :) Moderators will begin transferring topic threads from the other forums into this one, and please feel free to begin posting your drivetrain questions here.

If something needs an adjustment, we're open to suggestions. We want everyone to be involved and have a say. ;)

Jim

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2006, 04:01
I welcome this new forum.

Wondering if I can somehow change out the rear yolk on my 14bolt ff to eliminate those whimpy u-joint straps and be able to use larger u-joints?

I have the 1 piece drive shaft.

Robyn
10-06-2006, 07:25
yank off the yoke and head off to the bone yard. Spline count and diameter are the only consideration.
Seems that somewhere in the GM world there is a yoke that will fit the pinion shaft. I have taken yokes and machined them and welded two different ones together useing the splined hub area off one and the ears where the cross bolts in off another. This involves some tricky lathe work along with a little jiging and welding but it can be done.
Not a direct bolt in but an option.
Do some looking around first I'll bet there is a 1 ton unit that uses a larger cross. Rebuilding the shaft is also going to be needed to finish the conversion.

Robyn

Robyn
10-06-2006, 08:18
A close friend came to me recently with an Astro van and he had serious tranny troubles.
The 4L60 had burnt up and he had taken it to the shop to get fixed.
The rebuild was spendy and just a day later the trans is slipping badly.
He called me in to help with the issue as the tanny shop was stumped.
A scan with a OBD1 revealed some strange TPS numbers and further diagnostics with a trans pressure gauge tied the strange numbers to tranny line pressure.
The whole issue and the loss of the original tranny had been all related to a faulty TPS. With the bad switch the computer was not allowing the line pressure to rise properly during acceleration and thus causing the clutches to slip resulting in the burn up.
The 700 R4 box which is the for runner of the 4L60 has a cable to control Throttle pressure but the 4L60E is all controlled by the PCM. The TPS tells the PCM what you are asking for in the way of power and then applies fuel and other needed things along the way to operate the drive train properly.
A small Plastic TPS costing $40 approx had failed resulting in the loss of the tranny and some big $$$$$$$$$$$
So any more the tranny may not be the issue in and of itself.
Any time there is an issue with a late model rig there needs to be a scan to correctly diagnose troubles even with the lowly gear box.

Robyn

john8662
10-06-2006, 09:07
Glad to see this was accepted, I was confronted with the suggestion by Robyn, I also agreed that this was long-overdue, but we needed someone to head it with tranny knowledge.

We'll be moving "gearbox" stuff here!

Know what happens when you swap in a steering gearbox from a G-van into a regular C-10 pickup?

Answer: A really fun to drive truck, left = right, right = left, trick truck!

J

Robyn
10-06-2006, 13:28
You have a strange sense of humor John.
Leave that one parked down town with the keys in it and sit back and watch.
He he he he he