PDA

View Full Version : first time towing and a ?

PBRmeASAP
10-06-2006, 07:10
Just joined the diesel world, and it's time to put it to the test. Have a '04 with the LLY, and a few people with have told me that i don't need to use the "Tow Button" since i'm only hauling about (3800lb car & 1500lb trailer) 5300lb. Since i'm new to the truck i don't want to mess anything up, but figured i'd post here and see what you guys say.

Onebigcanuck
10-07-2006, 10:16
I would use the tow/haul any time you are towing. It locks up the converter and helps to keep the tranny cooler.

Heartbeat Hauler
10-11-2006, 06:22
I would use the tow/haul any time you are towing. It locks up the converter and helps to keep the tranny cooler.
Yeah what OneBig said. With the torque converter unlocked the trans will build more heat and add to that additional weight and you are putting undue stress on your clutches....heatwise. Will it hurt to tow without T/H? With that light of a load and if it is a short trip not really, but eventually the extra heat will add up and take its toll. I tow a 1300lb trailer with my lawn tractor (about 700lbs) on it and I always use T/H mode...always.
JP

Stlheadake
10-16-2006, 10:40
I tow a 1300lb trailer with my lawn tractor (about 700lbs) on it and I always use T/H mode...always.
JP

I read your reply, and couldn't help imagining this 30foot flatbed gooseneck with a 13 horse John Deere. Just a funny thought that's all. I saw a big Kenworth pulling a flatbed trailer on the interstate. On the trailer was a kids Honda 50. It just struck me as funny!

(by the way, based on the consensus of the board, I will start using tow haul mode more) I frequently rund T/H around town, but when I get my trailer (around 9K) on the interstate, I take it out. Just trying to get the mileage.

doncannon
11-09-2006, 22:37
hello all,

stlheadake: i agree that is funny...just like when i saw a large roll back with a small lawn tractor on it...he he he

Don

ramblinrodney
12-08-2006, 09:10
Read your manual, when towing. I use mine.