PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case noise in 98 k3500

K. D.
10-06-2006, 20:29
I have a 98 GM K3500 DRW with a noise in the transfer case. Only in 4L, it is a very noticeable clank. My thoughts are that a gear tooth is damaged in the gear set for 4L. Anyone have any experience with this symptom?

K.D.

DA BIG ONE
10-06-2006, 22:30
What t-case is in truck?

Robyn
10-07-2006, 08:13
Is this "Clank" a running thing where is goes clank clank clank clank like a tooth missing on a gear or just one clank???
The boxes are generally a chain drive to the front output shaft and the gears are a constant mesh type with sliding rings to engage the different ranges.
Drain the oil and see what comes out. If you find metal you can be sure it has ate itself. The T case can be removed without the tranny. You may lose a small amount of tranny fluid but its not a big deal.

Bottom line is "if its making noise it needs to come apart" before it grinds itself to the point of no return.
No simple answer here

Robyn

93_Burrito
10-07-2006, 09:09
K3500 trucks have a Borg Warner 4401 T-Case.

K. D.
10-08-2006, 19:41
Its a Borg Warner T-case, the dealers mech told me it has a planetary gearset in it, and the most likely problem is a broken tooth. It is a regular clunk as you move, seems to be about once every turn of the tire. Very noticeable, the truck shakes a bit when the noise occurs.

Ordered a set of manuals from Helm, a teardown seems in order.

K.D.

DA BIG ONE
10-09-2006, 03:18
Good source for rebuild parts;
http://www.drivetrain.com/transfercasesparts.html#Borg-Warner%204401

Robyn
10-09-2006, 08:44
You are heading in the right direction.
Once you get the books it will be time to tear into the beastie and find out what is amiss.
There is not a lot of parts in a T case so a complete tear down and a cleaning along with some gaskets and seals and a few hard parts and you should be up an flying.

Keep us posted

Robyn