PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions....

vr1967
10-07-2006, 01:23
Working on a friends 95 3500 HD. Had a 6.5 (new motor less than 5K miles) that won't run. Problem to me seems to be a sensor, as it is not giving fuel to the injectors. He also brought me a 93 Cummins he wants me to put in it's place. My question is, he pulled the 6.5, the brought me the truck. There are 2 harnesses, one out the driver's side firewall, the other on the pass side, with a few wires connecting the 2. The one on the pass side, is this the one for the IP computer? Can I eliminate it. (I am trying to get a wiring diagram, but no luck yet.)

Second, I can get the 6.5 as a freeby. Aother friend has a 93 6.5 with mechanical pump, will it work to eliminate the electronic IP? (I asked the one with the truck if he wanted to do this, but he said NO. 3rd 6.5 in 120K miles) I thought of doing this (if possible) and using the 6.5 in my work truck. I saw post about using the old 6.2 IPs, but wanted to make sure.

Any input, advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Virgil

Hubert
10-07-2006, 07:39
Sounds ambitious.

The PCM is behind the glove box so passanger side wires are to it. If you keep the electronic IP you'll need that. Also controls the automatic transmission I think. You maybe can get stand alone controller for OBD-I transmission.

Driver side bundle I don't know probably goes to dash and ignition circuits.

Search posts there are a few with cummins conversions depends on which model and transmission you choose to implant as to what you'll need. I don't know much about it.

Nothing really wrong with the DS IP but the OE PMD. Once you remote mount better later version of it on a cooler and if you take care of all electrical connections its a good IP. Has to have a PCM to work though. Electronics are just a pain and hard to diagnose.

Whats the work truck you want to put the 6.5 into?

DmaxMaverick
10-07-2006, 07:52
......I am trying to get a wiring diagram, but no luck yet......

www.alldatadiy.com

Diagrams, and more. Very detailed for 1995. If you are (or thinking about) getting into the habbit of these things, alldata is priceless.

vr1967
10-07-2006, 09:26
Thanks for the information Gentlemen. This should get me started.

Looking to put the 6.5 in place of a 350 in an 82 3/4T 4x4 that I have already swapped in a NV4500.

Also, the Cummins will go in front of a 4500, so I'll need to change the input shaft and bearing collar.

Thanks again.

Virgil