PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 to D-Max swap?

DaveNY
10-07-2006, 21:14
Had afew moments to myself and this just popped into my head. Is it possible to replace a 6.5 with a D-max and retain the 4L80E and get it to function in a 99 burb?
Dave

More Power
10-07-2006, 22:03
Sure... Have a look:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramaxconversions.htm

You would need to utilize the van programming - to reduce power/tq, and work most effectively with the 4L80-E. The last couple years of GM vans have had a Duramax/4L80-E option. The 4L80-E transmission and its torque converter will bolt right up to the Duramax. :)

Jim

DaveNY
10-08-2006, 17:10
Thanks Jim I did not know about the diesels in the vans. Guess this will give me project down the road. I assume the 700r4 will match up also but what about the electronics?
Dave

JeepSJ
10-09-2006, 12:17
Thanks Jim I did not know about the diesels in the vans. Guess this will give me project down the road. I assume the 700r4 will match up also but what about the electronics?
Dave

A properly built 700R4 should hold up (mine is rated for 700+ftlbs), but I would not put a DMax in front of one unless it is built like mine. As for the electronics, I would probably start with an ECU from a DMax/manual trans combo. The lockup in the 700 can be easily controlled manually. Something to deal with would be the TV cable, as the DMax is drive-by-wire and there is no trottle linkage. If my 6.5 ever destroys itself, I will be looking hard at replacing it with a DMax.