PDA

View Full Version : heeeeelp! -buying a 6.5L K2500...advice needed

Scuba
10-08-2006, 01:17
Hey hey!

Ok - so I'm looking at a 1999 K2500 ext cab 4x4 6.5L TD - it's got 47,000 miles on it. Virtually new...

Test drove it once already - it drives nice, smooth, straight and dayum it's peppy... It's got some kind of cooler on it (looks like a heat sink from an older pentium for you techno nerds - on the drivers side just behind the battery - about 8" x 12" and looks like it's aluminium...) didn't see any fluid lines running into it, just a wire bundle....It's also got the K&N airfilter on it.

The guy that owned it before used it to pull his 5th wheel camper around in the summers.... just bought a 2wd 2007 duramax. Traded this on it.

So here's my question. What do I need to look at on this thing to decide if it's the right truck to buy?

I'm a convert....Chev trucks are new to me... previous owner of a wack load of F150's, but the new body style just doesn't grab me... and I've wanted a diesel truck for a while now - but between ford's exploding 6L's and the associated price with new... I've held off.

So now after writing my last truck off I'm gonna buy what I want. :D

HELP!!!

Scuba
10-08-2006, 06:55
Check it out... I'm replying to my own thread....

Just got the carfax on the truck and it looks kinda really like an unloved truck...

I think I've become leary about this one.... especially after the owner of the dealership tells me it's had one owner....

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:

(Initial Registration)
02/03/1999 Ontario
Ministry of Transportation Registration issued or renewed
Passed safety inspection
Vehicle color noted as Gray

07/16/2001 Ontario
Ministry of Transportation
Eastern Ontario Registration issued or renewed
Registered as commercial vehicle
(NEW OWNER)
07/16/2002 Ontario
New owner reported

07/16/2003 Ontario
06/29/2004 33,554 Ontario
Ministry of Transportation Odometer reading reported for title
or registration
Odometer reported as 54,000 kilometers
07/16/2004 Ontario

(NEW OWNER)
07/17/2004 Ontario
Registered as
personal vehicle
06/28/2005 40,389 Ontario
Ministry of Transportation Odometer reading reported for title
or registration
Odometer reported as 65,000 kilometers
07/17/2005 Ontario
Registered as
personal vehicle
(NEW OWNER)
12/01/2005 Ontario
Ottawa, ON Registration issued or renewed
New owner reported

Robyn
10-08-2006, 07:46
Hello and welcome
To some it up in a nut shell.
Condition is everything.
Look it over well for signs that it has been wrecked.
Get it up on a rack and look it over on the bottom to see if its been thrashed off road, Look for the obvious such as bent and tweeked things and dings and scrapes in the frame and such.
Body condition is always important. Signs of a repaint can mean troubles or at least it tells a story that needs to be known.
Check all the gear box's for oil level and such.
If it runs good and shifts fine and all the goodies work right it very well can be a good deal.
I always buy this way. What the dealer or owner says does not influence me much.
The only time I pay much attention to the paper work is if its got a "rebuilt" title. This would suggest that its been wrecked badly and then its a no go.
Very common for the dealers to say "One owner'
currious though that its only got 47K on the meter.
Ultimately you have to be comfortable with the purchase and if thats not happening its best to move on.

Robyn

Scuba
10-08-2006, 08:20
Ultimately you have to be comfortable with the purchase and if thats not happening its best to move on.

Yeah... I think that's what I'm stumbling on....

I did however stumble across a k2500 suburban this morning.... 1997 100k miles loaded..... gonna check it out too. :D

Never thought writing a truck off could produce this much fun :D lol

1999GMC
10-08-2006, 10:22
I had people tell me I don't want a 6.5L. But not wanting a Dodge and not being able to find a good powerstroke for $15,000 or less, I bought the 1999 K2500. It had 99,000 miles on it. My buddy works for GM so he looked up the VIN and saw the Injection pump was replaced at 84,000 and that was all it showed. My buddy bought a Powerstroke and has had nothingh but problems with it. From cam sensor, starter, clutch pilot bearing, to some serious driveability problems to where he can't go over 30MPH, rear end, fuel delivery issues. I have added the Heath diesel remote mount PMD, gauges, exhaust, and intercooler to mine, and I am pretty happy with the way it tows. Our trailer is about 8500lbs. loaded with all the bikes and stuff. Not bashing Powerstrokes, they are great engines also, but it doesn't matter what you buy it can be a problem child. Good luck. And for me I just liked this body style looks. That is why I didn't want the Dodge, I couldn't stand the interior.

N9Phil
10-08-2006, 14:51
I would take the Vin Number to a Chevrolet or GM dealer and ask them to give you a print out on the service history of the vehicle. Any work that was done at the dealers will show up and then you can get a better feal for any problems that the truck has had.

I wouldn't walk away just because the salesman told you it was a one owner. I would use all the info that you gather to try and get the price lowered.

N9Phil

Robyn
10-08-2006, 15:38
Condition is everything and miles and number of owners is not important.
Good advice from previous post "take vin to GM dealer and see what shakes out"

Best to ya and good luck
Robyn

MTTwister
10-08-2006, 17:40
It's got some kind of cooler on it (looks like a heat sink from an older pentium for you techno nerds - on the drivers side just behind the battery - about 8" x 12" and looks like it's aluminium...) didn't see any fluid lines running into it, just a wire bundle....It's also got the K&N airfilter on it.

That's a remote cooler for the black box - "PMD" ( pump mpunted driver) which when remotely mounted becomes the "FSD" ( Fuel Solenoid Driver) . If this guy cared enought to hang that off it, it may be worth looking into.

Any gauges with it ? ( Boost, exhaust temp - maybe in a pillar pod?) If he towed a lot, that would be an indication he knew what he was doing ( well ok - maybe not, but he cared enought ot monitor it anyway. )

So..... How Much $$$ ?

Scuba
10-09-2006, 02:37
It's got some kind of cooler on it (looks like a heat sink from an older pentium for you techno nerds - on the drivers side just behind the battery - about 8" x 12" and looks like it's aluminium...) didn't see any fluid lines running into it, just a wire bundle....It's also got the K&N airfilter on it.

That's a remote cooler for the black box - "PMD" ( pump mpunted driver) which when remotely mounted becomes the "FSD" ( Fuel Solenoid Driver) . If this guy cared enought to hang that off it, it may be worth looking into.

Any gauges with it ? ( Boost, exhaust temp - maybe in a pillar pod?) If he towed a lot, that would be an indication he knew what he was doing ( well ok - maybe not, but he cared enought ot monitor it anyway. )

So..... How Much $$$ ?

After reading on here for most of yesterday I figured that one out... thanks none the less. They're asking 21 Canadian... so 18ish us? +/-

It looks in good shape... the box is a bit scratched up from trailer mount etc - it has a hard tonneau installed too. Undercoated recently... from what I scratched off the frame it looks like it's been done semi-regularly... ie no major rust on it...

And it's at a GM dealership - and I asked the owner for the service records and he tried to tell me that he couldn't get it for me.... I really don't think he has a clue about the power of the internet....

Although... I must admit I'm kinda gettin horny for the suburban..... such a nice lookin rig.... gotta get down and test drive it Tuesday... see how it handles.

Thanks everyone.. I'll be sure to let you know what's happening.

tommac95
10-10-2006, 12:33
Scuba--
these are nice trucks.
But both the heads and blocks are liable to crack; replacement engine minimum $5000 US. On the other hand, many run 300K without many issues.

Suggest have experienced diesel tech/mech check it out.

winemaker
10-11-2006, 14:35
Regarding the mileage: Scuba's first post stated 47K miles, and the printouts from the Ontario ministry are in Kilometers, therefore there may not actually be a discrepincy here. Scuba, did you estimate the miles as a conversion from kilometers?

My 96 K2500 is registered commercial because I own a business. Not only do I use my truck to haul all my stock, rather than pay for shipping, I also enjoy the write-offs, etc. Also, in my region, by boosting my GVW I'm exempt from emmissions tests. My point being that these factors don't always point in a negative direction. Very often a commercial vehicle has a regimented maintainance schedule, whereas Joe Blow may let oil changes and fuel filter changes slide several thousand extra kilometers.

All in all, I agree with Robyn. If it looks good and feels good, go for it. If it feels wrong, pass. Cheers! Brett