PDA

View Full Version : Component lifespans

kdr
10-08-2006, 17:41
Good afternoon;

Ive owned my 1994 6.5TD pick up since new. Now 202,000 miles. Have gained much education during that time. Most of my knowledge is attributable to the diesel page and its forums. Thanks. I'm now asking myself how many times should I be going there ? (Doing the same repair again and again ) How long are you guys (or gals) getting out of a Fuel solinoid driver (FSD)? Given my diagnosis is correct, I only got 15,000 miles after installing a new one on a remote cooler. Can this be right ? I find if I can't start up, a little tap to the FSD with my flashlight and I get going again. Always works. Coincidence? What do you think a typical lift pump life span should be ? I get about 60,000 miles.

Karsten

NH2112
10-08-2006, 18:16
Given your symptoms and what always works to correct things, I'd suspect a bad ground or pin connection at the harness. I'm assuming it grounds through a mounting screw, in which case I'd clean the corresponding area on the pump and use a star washer or 2 when you reassemble things. Od you could make a ground strap to go under the FSD and connect it to an intake manifold bolt, again using star washers at each end's connection.

rustyk
10-11-2006, 22:32
Or it's the relay