PDA

View Full Version : more down pipe stuff

1bad383
01-07-2004, 06:07
Does anybody out there have a down pipe that fits as advertised? AKA, not hitting the frame at idle, or shut down (uggh!), caressing it with a hammer to fit. I have fresh motor and tranny mounts on my rig, and the damn thing wont fit right. Gonna go crazy if this dosen't get fixed soon :mad: ! Thanks for any help.

Randee of the Redwoods
01-07-2004, 07:56
My Heath downpipe fits fine. It's a tight fit and I did have to carefully watch the clearances, but my downtube is off the frame rail, off the crossover pipe(not by much) and it lines up with the rest of the exhaust pipes. Granted, it's also the 3" pipe. I considered banging mine up for mor clearance, but I made it all work just hunky dory the way it is so there was no need.

Marty Lau
01-07-2004, 10:40
Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods:
Granted, it's also the 3" pipe. I considered banging mine up for mor clearance, but I made it all work just hunky dory the way it is so there was no need. RANDEE ! Most aftermarket down pipes are 3 inches I believe. Banging a new down pipe up I'm glad you didn't. I believe (no proof) that part of the reason the Factory down pipe is so scrunched and banged up is the clearence and istalltion time thing. On an assembly line an extra minute of two of install time equates to BIG BUCKS on tens of thousands of units built. The exhaust installtion professionals who installed my system fought the down pipe for a good 15 minutes before they got it in right.