PDA

View Full Version : Nozzles at fuel stations

JeepSJ
10-09-2006, 12:45
Are diesel nozzles bigger than the gas nozzles? I might need to make some modifications to my filler if they are!

murphyslaw
10-09-2006, 21:04
in my experience SOME are.

JeepSJ
10-09-2006, 23:38
Nice. Looks like I'll be knocking out the restriction in my filler.

Prestonia24
10-10-2006, 00:07
Are diesel nozzles bigger than the gas nozzles?

They're supposed to be. It's really there to protect the gasoline users from accidentally putting diesel into their 'gas' tanks. A couple of years ago, I read that some poor corvette guy sent his wife to go fill up the 'vette and she managed to somehow fill it with diesel (even though the nozzle's don't fit!), he made it about 10 miles before it clunked out. Luckily he didn't destroy the engine, just the fuel pump and injectors...

The Diesel user, 'tends' to be a tad smarter, and since the opening on the fuel filler will take pretty much any nozzle you can throw at it, you'd need to be careful if letting your wife go fill up your truck with #2...

I'm quite happy that the 06 D/A (if not other chevy models) have the large opening to fit the high-speed diesel pumps, like those found at truck stops with nominal fill rates of 12gals a min or so.

One of the chevrons by my house has a truck service center, and has an island with 3 of the high speed pumps for trucks. (The owner of the station has an 06 D/A CC LBZ exactly like mine, but the lighter blue color). It takes me about 3 minutes to put 25 gals of Diesel into my truck there...

The standard guage nozzles that i've seen top out at around 4-5 gallons per minute.

At work, we drive 2005/2006 F**D E350 Ambulances, and they're not equipped with the wide mouth nozzle opening, so we have to use the painfully slow car diesel nozzles, and when you gotta put 45 gallons of diesel at 5g a minute, you're there for quite a bit.

DmaxMaverick
10-10-2006, 00:08
The "auto" (meaning car) nozzles are small, but the commercial nozzles are large. Some of the "Mom and Pop" stores are using nozzles they've had around since before unleaded, so you will also find some in between. Anyway, you should knock out the restrictor. You never know when your ONLY option for fuel is a commercial nozzle. You may also want to install a larger vent tube so you don't ruin your shoes at the most inopportune time. Many #2 pumps, even if they have an "auto" nozzle, will run at commercial pressure. Nice option, but the surge is faster than the shut-off if your vent is too small.

JeepSJ
10-10-2006, 17:16
The "auto" (meaning car) nozzles are small, but the commercial nozzles are large. Some of the "Mom and Pop" stores are using nozzles they've had around since before unleaded, so you will also find some in between. Anyway, you should knock out the restrictor. You never know when your ONLY option for fuel is a commercial nozzle. You may also want to install a larger vent tube so you don't ruin your shoes at the most inopportune time. Many #2 pumps, even if they have an "auto" nozzle, will run at commercial pressure. Nice option, but the surge is faster than the shut-off if your vent is too small.

Yeah, I could just see pulling into some small town somewhere and the nozzle being too big. As for the vent - the filler line is 1 1/4" and the vent back up to the neck is either 3/4 or 7/8. I hope that is big enough. Gotta find some of that big stuff in viton so that bio won't destroy it.

Pewter Max
11-04-2006, 18:22
I had a 01 up to a week ago and it still had the small opening .
I made one trip of over 6000 miles and never had a problem .
There has been a few times I have had to use the big nozzle but I got it in .