PDA

View Full Version : Hayden fan clutch question

Tony J.
04-17-2004, 12:13
Do they look the same as OEM? I'm putting one on my 95 today (just got the truck) and the severe duty I bought from Heath looks IDENTICAL to the one already on my truck??? Are the differences internal?

I guess I'll go ahead and install it- don't know what else to do!

DmaxMaverick
04-17-2004, 13:26
The Hayden is a nock-off of the OEM HD clutch. There may be some internal differences, but I've never seen any performance differences between the two. With my experience, I would say there is no advantage with the Hayden.

I haven't had any communication with Heath, so I can't say what he advertises it to be.

I would suggest asking JK. IIRC, he had some comments on it a while back. Compare what Heath and JK have to say about it, and boil it down.

rjschoolcraft
04-17-2004, 15:45
I've taken apart a stock clutch and compared it to the stuff Hayden has on their website.... Looks the same to me.

Dieselboy
04-17-2004, 17:27
My Hayden CW 6.2 clutch from Bill Heath did advertise a lower engagement temp, but I can't really make a comparison since the old 300,000+ mile clutch didn't engage at all - ever. The new one turns on around 205*F.

The two look very similar, but there are some physical differences.

dslpwr
04-17-2004, 17:32
I have bought several parts for Bill Heath.
Bill sells all good parts.
I am sure will be happy with it.

Tractor
04-17-2004, 18:45
Tony J.
Is that the 2832 fan clutch. I think that is the number. It has been a few years, but we put a 2832 hayden fan clutch on are 1998, If I remember right it was larger then what we pulled off. It works great and did improve the cooling on our truck.
TRACTOR

Kennedy
04-18-2004, 05:34
In the case of the fan clutch for the 6.5 (and most others), They are not built by Hayden, rather Borg Warner who builds/built the originals. The clutch that Hayden offers is OEM spec, no differences. It took me over 2 yrs to get my clutch built, so yes I will get defensive quite quickly when claims are made. My clutch calibration is UNIQUE to me...

MTTwister
04-18-2004, 09:19
I believe the deal in the fan clutches is the Offset of the spring on the shaft, to make the 'housing' open sooner - ie 'engage 'at a lower temp. I don't think mine comes on until 215

markelectric
04-18-2004, 11:07
I went from a stock to a Hayden heavy duty and saw NO difference. I then traded the heavy to Bill Heath for a severe duty and saw a big improvement. This severe duty kicks in at about 200 f. It does not have to stay on long to get temp below 190 then release. I am happy with mine.

Tractor
04-18-2004, 15:35
Will my post on the clutch is not a claim, it is the truth. Cause I know there is enough people out there to doubt a person. The cooling is better after our clutch replacement. The air condtioner works way better, and never has to be put to the coldest lever.
TRACTOR

S\W Off Road
04-19-2004, 06:09
I also bought the Hayden heavy duty from Bill Heath and am very pleased with its operation AND the money I saved over the cost of JK's fan clutch. I understand why JK's cost more because they are made in a smaller quanty but I just couldn't justify the cost for truck when a less costly one will do.

Marty Lau
04-19-2004, 09:49
I bought a Hayden Severe Duty Clutch and it works better than the OEM so far. It starts to engage sooner than the OEM I had did. Bill Heath claims they transfer more power than OEM and do come on a bit sooner than OEM. I have been happy with it and everything bought from Heath Diesel.

Marty Lau
04-19-2004, 09:55
[quote]Originally posted by MTTwister:
[b] I believe the deal in the fan clutches is the Offset of the spring on the shaft, to make the 'housing' open sooner - ie 'engage 'at a lower temp. I don't think mine comes on until 215