PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 valve noise?

bleucrew6.2
10-10-2006, 13:34
I have a 1989 4x4 3500 Crewcab (non dually) with 95,000 miles on it. Truck belonged to the Air Force before I bought it. I could swear I occasionally hear some clatter from the valves as I'm going down the road. I have owned the truck for about a year and it's my first diesel, so I'm learning as much as possible as quickly as possible. Is there a possible ip timing issue here? The truck doesn't smoke when I'm driving, unless I'm pulling a long steep grade, and starts quickly in the morning.

john8662
10-10-2006, 19:48
Maybe what you're hearing is the "ping" that a Diesel engine makes under less load in upper rpm's.

J

Robyn
10-11-2006, 06:09
Bleu
Try running along at a given rpm under a light load with the engine making the noise you are worried about then let off the throttle and maybe down shift with "NO FUEL" applied the engine should not make any rattling noises as it is decellerating.
If you are still getting rattling or clicking then maybe you need to look closer.
As John pointed out these engines will cackle along at light throttle and it does sound rather obnoxious and maybe bothersome to a newbie in the diesel arena. Let us know

Robyn

bleucrew6.2
10-11-2006, 07:06
Thank you all for your suggestions! John, you may be right about the pinging. I am used to gas engines, and tend to associate light, clattering noises with ignition advance/retard issues. I'm familiar with the piston slap noise, but this is different.
Robyn, your in depth description is great. I recognize all the nuances you mention. My truck does run almost silently down hill, with maybe a couple piston slap noises here and there. So..maybe I'm just using a "gas" ear when hearing these things.
I genuinely appreciate the education you all are giving me!

Yukon6.2
10-12-2006, 07:49
Hi
mine had a distinct rattle when the defective sensor would cut in while driving,the sensor was advancing timing.