PDA

View Full Version : Should I replace the Injectors on my SUB

waynep
10-11-2006, 16:37
Hello All:

I have a 1997, 2500, SubWay, 4 wd, with 125,000 miles on the second Injection Pump.
It seems to run and start OK, but should I consider replacing all the fuel injectors befor winter and which ones should I use???

Repalced all the glow plugs except the one that is impossible to get at, so since I need to treplace that one why not replace the injsctors. BUT, I don't want to replace them for the fun of it.

Thank you all in advance

Hubert
10-11-2006, 18:15
125K miles on 2nd IP, how many miles on injectors? At 125K miles they are due anyway so this year or next summer its time. They will continue to work but have lost a lot of fuel atomization performance.

I just did mine at 140K miles and the truck runs better more low end pep for sure. Less smoke launching and under heavy throttle too (the turbo master helped there a lot but injectors did some too I am sure).

I'd have really liked to do timing chain too but injectors, glowplugs, gauges, turbo master and bits and pieces consumed most of maintenance budget for this year.

Go with stock new or rebuilt OEM injectors from a reputable source.

murphyslaw
10-11-2006, 18:29
[warning hijack] How do i tell how old my injectors are? i have no idea if they have ever been replaced(just bought the rig bout 140k) [/hijack]

DmaxMaverick
10-11-2006, 19:42
[warning hijack] How do i tell how old my injectors are? i have no idea if they have ever been replaced(just bought the rig bout 140k) [/hijack]
Pull one or two (the easiest to get to), and take it to a shop that can test them. The tech should be able to tell you if it is good by looking at it and testing. If that one shows significant age, the rest will too. If you are uncertain how long they've been in service, it'll only cost you a few bucks to check one. If that one checks out, it's likely the rest are OK. If not, it would run like crap. The injectors usually degrade evenly, so you won't know if you've lost performance/economy until you replace them. You could also have a dealer run the VIN. If GM did a replacement, it would show up.

As far as where to get replacements, be VERY CAREFUL with anything on Ebay. A lot of misrepresentation going on there. Many members here have reported it costing more after all is said and done, than if they had bought them from a TDP advertiser or other aftermarket. TDP advertisers have them at competitive prices, and you won't have to question the quality, or service.

waynep
10-12-2006, 05:43
Hello All:

I have 125K miles on the truck/injectors. IP/FSD replaced under wearanty at around 55 K and around 110 K. Lift pump repalced at 75 K and 125k.

How hard are the injectors to change? Any tricks?

Appreciuate any and all advice.

Thank you, Wayne

Hubert
10-12-2006, 11:17
Are they hard to change? You'll get varied answers on this because it depends on your abilities and tool inventory.

I just did mine (I am an ok shade tree) and its not really hard but is time consuming for the avg joe as it is usually the first time you do things. Also did my glow plugs while I was there. Thats what most people do.

Different tactics for different people but I removed turbo, inner fender and wheel then did them from underneath on passanger side. Drivers side from top. Figure on at least a full day or a bit more (if you do glows too). Some guys and girls on here can do it in a couple of hours from top only. I'd be faster next time but still several hours. Take your time. You don't want to screw anything or it might turn into a bigger job.

You'll need an injector socket or equivalent deep socket, torque wrench, crowfoot wrenches, bent needle nose pliers, and assorted other stuff to ease things swivels, extension etc.

If you have n't ever really done it I'd suggest the diesel page book its written for the avg do it yourselfer.

You can search the forum there are several posts with tips.