PDA

View Full Version : Injector Policy revised to cover 2003 models

Kennedy
10-12-2006, 06:27
You got it, the 2003 models have been added back into the coverage. You should receive a letter.

Document ID 1866141 Special Policy Adjustment-Injectors-Replace #040309A

Basically a rehash of the old bulletin 040309 adding 2003 model year. Please note that this covers specific issues ie:excessive return rates, cracking, or high pressure seal extrusion. The symptoms of these failures are generally hard/no starts, and fuel in crankcase.

All Customer requests for reimbursement will be handled by GM Customer Care and not the Dealer.

WILLYD-MAX
10-12-2006, 10:36
Kennedy...
Thanks for the info.
A friend of mine had his injectors replaced on his 03 a couple of months ago out of his pocket. Do you know if gm would reimburse him?

rat4go
10-12-2006, 11:23
There's a process for getting your $ back if you have already had the work done. In the owner letter that GM will be sending out, it'll say this:

__________________________________________________ _____________
If you have paid to have this special policy condition corrected prior to this notification, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement.

Requests for reimbursement may include parts, labor, fees and taxes. Reimbursement may be limited to the amount the repair would have cost if completed by an authorized General Motors dealer.

Your claim will be acted upon within 60 days of receipt.

If your claim is:

WILLYD-MAX
10-12-2006, 13:46
Thanks... Rat4go

copperhead
10-20-2006, 09:57
Got mine yesterday. I'm breathing a small sigh of relief. However, with the constant drumb beat regarding filtration on this forum, I thought it was interesting to observe from the letter that my added filtration may not matter. At least two of the possible failures include extruding seals ( I believe that is correct, I forgot to bring my letter with me ) and cracked sleeves??? Whatever they are its those parts that seem to be responsible for coolant leaks with some. I certainly meant to have my letter with me so I could be accurate with my statments. Sorry, blast me if you will.

More Power
10-20-2006, 10:14
We heard rumors nearly two years ago that the 2003 models would eventually be included in this special policy. Owners of 2004 model-year LB7's would be wise to save receipts for any out of warranty injector replacement.... :)

Jim

Onebigcanuck
10-23-2006, 11:01
Got mine in the mail today from GM, Oshawa, Ont.

Reads inpart:

"THIS IS NOT A RECALL"

"GM is providing owners with additional protection for the fuel injectors / If this condition occurs in your 2001-2003 model year / within 7 years of the date your was originally place in service or 320,000km (or 200,000 mile) whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no cost."

Inspector
10-23-2006, 17:45
Got mine today, Hooray
Denny

Burl
11-29-2007, 12:22
I got my letter today so it's official that the 2004 LB7 is covered.

jody kemp
09-11-2008, 06:32
Does anyone have a copy of the recall notice that GM sent out to the consumer regarding the injector recall and additional warranty? My dealership charged me $150. to do a fuel system test when I brought in the truck while it was skipping. They found a problem with the fuel filter housing (rubber check valves worn out inside) and told me I was going to have to spend $1000. to replace it. I declined that option and fixed it my self for less than $100. This did not make the engine run any better. The engine was still skipping and when I changed the oil 2 months later, I removed the drain plug and was soaked down by the fuel/oil mix that came from the crankcase. The consumer letter stated that I should not have been charged for the fuel system test if the injectors were not working properly. I lost my letter.

DmaxMaverick
09-11-2008, 06:50
Does anyone have a copy of the recall notice that GM sent out to the consumer regarding the injector recall and additional warranty? My dealership charged me $150. to do a fuel system test when I brought in the truck while it was skipping. They found a problem with the fuel filter housing (rubber check valves worn out inside) and told me I was going to have to spend $1000. to replace it. I declined that option and fixed it my self for less than $100. This did not make the engine run any better. The engine was still skipping and when I changed the oil 2 months later, I removed the drain plug and was soaked down by the fuel/oil mix that came from the crankcase. The consumer letter stated that I should not have been charged for the fuel system test if the injectors were not working properly. I lost my letter.

Welcome aboard!

You don't need the letter. The dealer has all the documentation they need. If they say they don't, give them the bulletin #. They should have done dozens of these by now, and shouldn't have any problem locating the TSB describing your condition as reason to replace all 8 injectors. You should get reimbursed for the [mis]diagnostic fee they charged you, once they accept the warranty claim for the injectors. If they don't, you can request it from GM once the work is done. If you go to another dealer, you may need the receipt, though. Some dealers charge a $100 deductible for the warranty repair, which is also contrary to the bulletin. (the $100 deductible only applies to the 100K mile Diesel engine warranty).

pslevy
11-20-2008, 20:04
All,

I have a 2001 70K miles.I've been experiencing recent hesitation plus oil on the ground today. After calling the local agency, they said it might be the injectors. With the engine running i checked the oil only to see "oil" coming out if the dipstick... So i did an oil change and got soaked when draining approx 13+ quarts of fluid...

So 2 things:
Can anyone shed some light on how faulty fuel injectors can account for fuel in the oil?
What kind of engine damage is should i be on the lookout for?

DmaxMaverick
11-20-2008, 21:02
No damage from the fuel in the oil to worry about. You have failed injectors, and/or fuel return lines. Time for 8 new injectors.

The fuel gets into the oil from injector body failure. Unique to the early Duramax.

pslevy
11-20-2008, 22:24
Thanks for the Info. The truck is currently sitting at the dealers inbox.

My in service is 6/01. Has GM made accommodation's for this issue passed the 7 years?

DmaxMaverick
11-20-2008, 23:05
Thanks for the Info. The truck is currently sitting at the dealers inbox.

My in service is 6/01. Has GM made accommodation's for this issue passed the 7 years?

No. Nothing past 7 years. If you had a claim within the warranty period for something that could be related, they may cover it, or help you with the cost. They may still try to help if you plea with them, being not so long out of warranty. It's free to ask. Otherwise, it's over 4 grand for the complete job at the dealer. If you are a DIY'er, it isn't too bad a job if you have the time. It'll take a full weekend, more or less, depending on experience.

In the meanwhile, if you are still driving it, keep a close watch on the oil level. It isn't likely it will stop making oil. It isn't a real big deal, but don't let it get to diluted. One of our members drove out of Central America back to the states with this condition. He did oil changes as needed, and arrived without incident or damage.

hogbody
11-21-2008, 09:22
I have a 2003 with only 54,000 miles. I only use it for trips. I have a auxillary fuel filter on the truck.

I am concerned about the expiration of the injector warranty in 2010. Is there any testing that should be done to determine if this problem will occur or do I just have to wait for a failure and end up eating the cost because I haven't driven my truck enough?

Thanks

pslevy
11-21-2008, 10:00
Regarding the warenty... it seems inconsistent.

If they chose to double the miles it is not inconsistent not to double the time?

Was this issue root caused? (bad batch, materials etc...)

What about a rebuilding Kit?

I'm real good with a 10 pound sledge :)

BTY, I had and logged the ticking sound after the first oil change...

Thoughts??

pslevy
11-21-2008, 10:02
Any thoughts regarding using re-build injectors? I've noted that these range from 170 to 200 ea....

DmaxMaverick
11-21-2008, 10:40
Regarding the warenty... it seems inconsistent.

If they chose to double the miles it is not inconsistent not to double the time?

Was this issue root caused? (bad batch, materials etc...)

What about a rebuilding Kit?

I'm real good with a 10 pound sledge :)

BTY, I had and logged the ticking sound after the first oil change...

Thoughts??

Inconsistent with what? The injector warranty is separate from any other, and only covers specific components and symptoms. It is, however, consistent (by being inconsistent with anything else) with the 6.5L Stanadyne warranty, which is/was 11 years or 120K miles.

pslevy
11-21-2008, 11:05
Its inconsistent with respect to time/use.

The engine warranty is 5Y/100K or 20K/Year. This metric is what GM can manage base on a marketing/cost and consumer expectations, that at the current state of the art Diesel engines will operate with a xx% failure rate.

Given a known failure mode (injectors) GM needed to reevaluate expectations in order to protect market share. In doing so, they created this new warranty 7Y/200K which is 28.5K/Year.

This is INCONSISTENT :).

I had the dealership say to me that GM stepped up! (by extending the warranty) I said, why should i but a new GM product is they are unwilling to fix this issue? If this is such a rare issue then just fix them as they fail. If this is a bigger issue then recall them. It's that simple to protect their market share.

In reality, as you know Diesel's are maintained based on RUNTIME. I submit this is the correct way to warranty them :)