PDA

View Full Version : optimum temp?

bleucrew6.2
10-13-2006, 05:05
Hi all,
Anyone know where I can get a new/used service manual for 1989 6.2? K3500 series 6.2 would be even better.
What engine temp is considered optimum for these engines? I believe that mine is running "cold". It generally stays at or around the 150 degree mark, and has approached 190 degrees a couple of times when fully loaded for vacation (wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, bikes, canoe, etc.....), and pulling a long mountain grade.
I believe I read something that Jim wrote about preferring a 180 degree t-stat, and I know that there are at least three t-stat temp choices for this engine. Maybe I have a "summer" stat installed ? Could I expect to get any better mileage or performance by using a higher temp t-stat?

As always, thank you for your help!
John

rustyk
10-13-2006, 16:37
There are differing opinions about the "right" thermostat; I asked John Kennedy of Kennedy Diesel when ordering the cooling upgrade kit, and he recommended the 195F, which is what I got. Engines are designed to run at a certain temp, and 195F was the stock, so I stayed with it.

In your case, it sounds like you have either a bad temp sender or more likely, a bad thermostat.