PDA

View Full Version : Injection Pulse Width Error

tburch
10-14-2006, 18:18
My truck has gotten hard to start when it is cold. I check the glow plugs with a test light and they seemed okay but have not checked them with an ohm meter yet. Today after cranking a few times and getting a big cloud of white smoke when it started, the Check Engine Light came on for about 20 seconds. I pulled the code: DTC 36 - Injection Pulse Width Error (Response Time Long). I am relatively new to diesels so don't know if this means a bad injector or what. Anyone with an idea?

Robyn
10-14-2006, 18:48
Injection pump issues starting to creep into the picture
How many miles on the IP??
If its a high miler I would be thinking about getting the pump rebuilt and installing a new set of nozzles to boot.
Keep us posted

Robyn

john8662
10-14-2006, 22:25
Usually this means that the fuel solenoid in the injection pump is getting tired (slow) and it's time for a reman.

The hard starting could be associated with this code.

J

jjgmc96
10-15-2006, 05:18
my experiance has been that it's time for a new fuel solinoid driver, that is mounted on the side of the injection pump. it can be mounted away from the pump on a cooler, my set-up is from kennady. the plug for the (fsd) can be fished out most times without taking off the intake manifold, and it is just long enough to mount setup on the manifold. some say the fsd can be revived by accessing the bottom transisters and snugging the mounting screws. mine is now mounted on the fender well with an extension harness from kennedy as well. lots of other mouting options being used. good luck. other symptoms include stalling, missing or stumbleing. and of course no start.

tburch
10-15-2006, 12:51
I bought the truck last year with about 109,000 miles and it now has just turned 120,000 miles. The previous owner had the injection pump replaced by Chevrolet in 1999 at 64,000 miles. Last year I had hard starting problems and the dealer replaced the lift pump. Is there a way to diagnose the injector pump vs the FSD? I don't want to just start replacing expensive parts. Thanks for the help.

rjwest
10-15-2006, 13:11
without a remote mount fsd, there is no way of knowing...

Can't easily swap fsd's without it...

gmctd
10-16-2006, 10:56
Low battery voltage and cold weather are sure DTC36 triggers - along with poor electrical connections at battery's, grounds, connectors, etc.

Time for a winter tighten-up

tburch
10-31-2006, 20:38
Thanks for all the informaitn. The dealer has been through everything and diagnosed the problem as the injection pump. He's been trying to get the pump replaced under warranty since it has only 57,000 miles on it and the truck is just under 120,000 miles. If that doesn't work any suggestions on replacing the whole pump versus the just FSD? How hard a job is it to replace the whole pump? I don't have a manual on this truck so don't know how big a job it would be. Any guidance or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again.

joed
11-01-2006, 07:45
I assume you are talking about GM's extended IP warranty; unfortunately you may be out of luck as it is for 11 years of 120K miles, whichever comes first. Being a 94, you are past the the 11 years...Worth a shot, though.

As for R&Ring the pump yourself, I suggest getting the 6.2/6.5 Removal and Replacement book from this site - I have it and it's got a lot a great info and tips. Also, see Cowracer's recent post about doing it himself - a lot of good tips.

I too may have to tackle this myself sooner than later...

Hope that helps. Joe.

rameye
11-01-2006, 15:46
I have a code 36...it started just after the Ip went off warranty..strated when it got cold..

I get the 36 when I step on the gas until it warms up...then no more 36. Runs like crap from 1000-200 rpms until warm.

Mine is the pump...no question.

Yours could be the the FSD or the pump...

Listen to the advice given, rule out the easy cheap things first...then go for a remote FSD..you should have an extra one anyway...and if all else fails it's pump time.

Mine goes back next week for a re-work.

take care