PDA

View Full Version : Help me before I go in too far!!

FarmerDale
01-07-2004, 10:50
I own a 95 K3500, and have just received the 97 cooling upgrade kit from Kennedy. I am OK with doing that portion of the work, but after looking at the Helms manual, I have cold feet about the harmonic balancer and timing chain work that I also intended to do at the same time.
A little background - at 99,500 miles I suffered the dreaded cracked heads breakdown. Local GM dealer did the R & R, and all seems to be well. The truck gets to pull a GN livestock trailer, up to 16k weight. Now, at 117k, I have decided that I want to increase the power and cooling of the truck. I asked the dealer if they had put in a new timing chain and/or harmonic balancer, and the answer was negative.
I know that it would be more efficient time-wise to do it all at once, but my fear is that I get hung up, and can't get it all back together like I should. :(
Hand holding would be appreciated ;)

More Power
01-08-2004, 14:40
Get the Fel-Pro front cover gasket set. This gasket set includes a thin paper gasket that goes between the aluminum timing cover and the block. GM didn't use one when the engine was originally assembled, but they were using new - freshly machined parts.

Chase the water pump bolt hole threads in the block with a tap. During installation of the new water pump, use thread sealer on those longer w/p bolts to properly seal them. I normally use a thin layer of silicone gasket compound on all gaskets and bolt threads.

You'll need a damper puller (about $10 from an auto parts store). Use a gear puller to pull the crank sprocket.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/images/damperinstaller.jpg

You'll need to buy/rent/make a damper installer (see Dr. Lee's example above) to reinstall the crank sprocket and damper. Hammering them back on (with a block of wood/plastic, etc) can be done, but not without risk.

Post any remaining questions here - as you progress.

Good luck,

MP

FarmerDale
01-08-2004, 18:23
MP

Thanks for the input. It looks like the project will be delayed a couple of weeks due to scheduling conflicts around the farm. I will spend that time reviewing the posts around here, and getting the necessary goods together. It looks like Dr Lee's contraption is relatively easy to make, and may have other uses around the farm.

Thanks again.