PDA

View Full Version : Leaking fuel filter

cudaaa
10-15-2006, 16:50
The fuel filter can is leaking. I can't tell if it is the water sensor or ware for sure its leaking. Do I need to replace the hole unit? If so is there a aftermarket unit available that is better. Thanks for all your help cudaaa

john8662
10-16-2006, 07:30
Check to see how your filter is actually seated in the holder. It may be leaking there.

Otherwise, wait until the engine is cold, then unbolt the two mounting bolts for the housing and slide it to where you can get your hands around it (one hand). Feel for where it's wet, feel, then come back up and check your fuel on your finger (wet).

It's likely leaking on the bottom where the fuel heater is, there is a replacement o-ring for the housing, the o-ring does fail.

There are two versions of this housing, one that has a black plastic heater element holder (with alum too) and the older style that has a brass heater bottom (better). Both use the same ring.

J

tommac95
10-16-2006, 19:53
>>the older style that has a brass heater bottom (better).

I've had three of the older style [steel cap with chromate plating?...NOT brass, fer gad's sake!] leak thru the wire pigtails, and i've got one newer plastic-based unit that is holding a nice seal.

Some have 'fixed' by snugging the plastic threaded collar that secures the heater element to the conditioner housing base.... i went for new oring. Never saw water sensor seal fail , but only seen a few.

cudaaa
10-16-2006, 21:11
Thanks for the help! I will check it out! cudaa

john8662
10-17-2006, 08:33
I've had three of the older style [steel cap with chromate plating?...NOT brass, fer gad's sake!] leak thru the wire pigtails, and i've got one newer plastic-based unit that is holding a nice seal.

You're exactly right, it's steel, but brass in coloration, well, at least both of mine were.

Thanks for the correction!

I don't like the later unit. Do you still have the older units sitting around? I'd like to get them if you do!

J

cudaaa
10-17-2006, 18:48
Looks like you guys were right it was the o-ring for the heater. Thanks for the help cudaaa

tommac95
10-18-2006, 17:32
>Do you still have the older units sitting around?

John,
The original featured a split [looked like decent explosion!] in the heater tube, and leak thru wiring. One i'm presently running began weeping thru the wire exit about 5k Mi after installation; i intend to replace that when i get a chance. You're not interested in the one which is weeping, i trust?? I'll shop for a replacement when i get a chance....