PDA

View Full Version : ATS Allison Extreme - Product review

More Power
10-16-2006, 15:09
ATS Allison Exteme (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/atstrans.htm)
Performance-Built Transmissions

The Allison 1000-Series 5/6-speed transmissions are simply the best and most durable automatics to ever have been installed in a pickup truck. When using stock power, it's practically impossible to hurt the transmission or exceed its torque handling capability. As good as the Allison is, however, it's still possible to exceed its torque handling capability when using a power adder. Most Allisons will hang onto the power up to at least 75 additional horsepower and 200 lb-ft of torque, but living on the ragged edge can take a toll on long-term durability. This is why installing a performance-built Allison can increase the fun!

cowboywildbill
10-17-2006, 07:18
Does anyone know what the HP & Torque ratings are for the LBZ 6 speed trans? And if so how much more can it safely handle above the stock rating?
Is it more than the LLY & LB7 5 speeds were? I haven't found anything about ratings on the new allison, it would seem that it should handle more HP & Torque because the LBZ makes 60 more HP.

More Power
10-17-2006, 11:07
Each time GM increased Duramax power/torque, the Allison also received modifications to maintain its durability. The article we did for the 2006 Trucks (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/2006MY.htm) that discussed some of those trans upgrades. I've not seen the actual input torque specifications for the Allison - other than when it was first introduced.

Jim

cowboywildbill
10-18-2006, 04:59
Thanks, I'll wait until I hear about the specs. I'm sure there are some guy's out there running power thru them.I guess time will tell how much power and how long they will take it without limping. Then I'll feel betterabout adding some.
We made two trips to Colombus, OH in the last week while towing, I have to say that this LBZ stock pulls better,faster, stronger than our 02 did with an edge on level 2 with banks 4". And it will pull any hill in 6th with 13,000 behind it. We love it.