PDA

View Full Version : Quicker spool up on 03 LB7??

Dunin Duramax
10-16-2006, 23:42
Hi Everyone. I have not been on the site in quite sometime. I have an 03 CC HD and have the PPE Hot programmer and a Duramaximizer. I also have a Banks wastegae actuator. My question is this. Is there something I can do to make the turbo spool quicker? My truck really seems to lag off the line until that turbo begins to spool. The Banks actuator kicks in later, but not for a few seconds. The new stock diesels, Ford included seem to get me off the line everytime. Is there anything I can do? I'm running a stock airbox with a K&N drop in and was wondering if that should be changed also to some other configuration or product.

Thank you very much. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

-Chris

murphyslaw
10-16-2006, 23:48
upgrade your air intake with a stage 2 kit or something equilivent. the more effecient the intake the faster the turbo will wind up cause it wont have to work as hard.

Kennedy
10-17-2006, 06:58
The answer may well be in your tuning. A good running LB7 comes off the line pretty hard.

Dunin Duramax
10-17-2006, 16:46
Kennedy, you're a diesel expert to put it lightly. What do you think of the PPE products? Are you familiar with them?

I have to admit, I have had other programmers do better out of the hole, including my Hypertech, however the towing power and mileage seem to be great. I tow in the 3rd program and get 10.5-12mpg towing my 13k# toyhauler trailer doing 70-80mph, including steep grades. My tranny is built to handle pretty much anything I can dish out. Can you suggest something that can do both...out of the hole acceleration and towing power and torque?

Thanks,

Chris

Bobo
10-17-2006, 21:26
Do you have the duramaximizer turned up? If you do, how does it spool with it off? Most likely you have too much fuel to spool the charger from the get go. A stock LB7 with a stock tune will spool the charger very fast. You can do the same with a big tune if you fuel it right. You need a tune that spools the charger with just enough fuel to do the job. Once the charger is lit, then throw in the rest of the fuel needed to make good power. Try EFI live or HP tuners. You can make your own custom tunes to your liking. PPE makes a good tune, but nothing beats a custom tune made to fit your truck. Don't be affraid to try it. You can make a tune yourself. I did.

Kennedy
10-18-2006, 06:44
Kennedy, you're a diesel expert to put it lightly. What do you think of the PPE products? Are you familiar with them?

I have to admit, I have had other programmers do better out of the hole, including my Hypertech, however the towing power and mileage seem to be great. I tow in the 3rd program and get 10.5-12mpg towing my 13k# toyhauler trailer doing 70-80mph, including steep grades. My tranny is built to handle pretty much anything I can dish out. Can you suggest something that can do both...out of the hole acceleration and towing power and torque?

Thanks,

Chris

I have guys towing to the track and then racing with my same big tune. You do have to respect the drivetrain when towing, but its just as smooth or smoother than any other tune and completely manageable. I sell the PPE dual fueler kits, but have never been much of a fan of their tuning. I'd consider removing the maximizer.

Dunin Duramax
10-18-2006, 10:22
I don't even use the Maximizer, but yes, I have considered removing it. Can you suggest a tune? I just think my truck should be faster than it is and it did seem faster before with other programmers or tuners.

Also, what about the air intake? I'm just running the stock air box with no mods to it. Will that make a difference? I need something that seals well because I go offroading in the sand dunes with my truck.

Thanks,

Chris

More Power
10-18-2006, 10:50
Many of the available programs and modules limit the amount of fuel they add till boost pressure rises to a level the program deems appropriate for the added fuel. This is an attempt to limit the amount of black smoke. From an environmental standpoint, it's a good strategy. From a performance or throttle response standpoint, they feel less powerful than some products.

For example, the VanAaken module I've had on my 2001 GMC feels less powerful on the street than when equipped with an Edge/Attitude, but the VA delivers an honest 140 additional hp on the dyno. The Edge allows you some control over the level of low boost fueling.... And of course, a custom program allows you to get what you want when you want it. ;)

Jim

Kennedy
10-18-2006, 12:35
I don't even use the Maximizer, but yes, I have considered removing it. Can you suggest a tune? I just think my truck should be faster than it is and it did seem faster before with other programmers or tuners.

Also, what about the air intake? I'm just running the stock air box with no mods to it. Will that make a difference? I need something that seals well because I go offroading in the sand dunes with my truck.

Thanks,

Chris

I do Custom tuning as shown in the recent DP articles. Drop me an email.

As for air intake, I prefer the Uni foam filter. Especially if you end up in dirty conditions. I altered my stock box somewhat and outlined this on my Tech Tips.

Bobo
10-18-2006, 21:50
I don't even use the Maximizer, but yes, I have considered removing it. Can you suggest a tune?

Kennedy sells EFI...buy it and make your own tune. I believe EFI is on sale for 500 bucks or so. It will be worth your time and effort to make your own tune. The stock air box works fine. I didn't see much of a gain, if any, from my AFE stage 2 intake.

DIESELMAX403
11-08-2006, 17:19
My 2003 DMax is also slow off the line and does not kick in until the turbo spools up. I have a Banks TLC Kit (computer, wastegate, and exhaust w/o cat) and Ram Air. By adding the Banks Ram Air, it actually made in noticeably worse off the line. I have a thread posted regarding the Banks Ram Air. Once the turbo spools up, I can get to 60 in less than 8 seconds. I thought this lag was normal until another DMax beat me off the line in a bad way. I don't know what mods he had, but there was not much smoke so that should tell you something. After reading the replies to this thread, its makes me even more suspicious that there has been something wrong with my truck from the beginnning.

Any thoughts?

Dieselmax