PDA

View Full Version : Ready for first oil/filter/tranny filter change

2tough2park
10-17-2006, 15:47
I've hit 3000 miles so I'll change the oil this weekend even though the truck's computer says there's 70% life left. So, some questions. How much oil? Is it safe to switch to syn oil now or should I wait for more miles? Which tranny fluid do I use to fill the filter? I suppose I can just look in the book for these answers, but I'd like some opinions as well as to what others are using. I'm in a 2006 Duramax with the 6speed Allison. I used syn 5w40 in my 6.5 and it ran great. The spin on tranny filter is new to me and I love it but I'll assume the replacement will need to be filled before installing, like an oil filter.

MikeC
10-17-2006, 16:14
Randee,

Mine takes 10 quarts.

You can change to synthetic now but I chose to wait to 5K. Reason for the wait was mileage seems to go up the more the truck is broken in.

You can use Dexron but I flushed mine with Transynd before I put a new filter on.

I use Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic.

Yes, fill the tranny filter for install and don't forget to make sure you keep the magnet. It is possible to throw the magnet out with the filter.

Mike

upsguy
10-17-2006, 17:01
You can change to synthetic now but I chose to wait to 5K. Reason for the wait was mileage seems to go up the more the truck is broken in.
Mike

So are you saying that synthetic motor oil stops the break in process?

DmaxMaverick
10-17-2006, 19:59
So are you saying that synthetic motor oil stops the break in process?

"Slows down", is probably more accurate. Less friction is less wear. Less wear is slower break in.

10K is a good, round number. Some say ASAP is OK, and they are probably right with todays engine technology. More important on a new engine is early and often changes (with whatever oil your wallet allows) to flush the engine of assembly byproducts.

Stlheadake
10-18-2006, 09:56
OK I thought I had a plan for mine, and I think I might have slipped. First of all my truck was delivered 3 pints low on rear end final drive oil. At the time of discovery (1000 miles) I only had access to Dino oil. Added the Dino with the intentions of fixing it 'later'.

OK now I have nearly 7K on the clock, and a box of Amsoil synthetics for engine, front and rear ends, and transfer case. I have pulled heavy 4 or 5 times since 1K miles.

Do I need to be worried about that rear end with the mixture of Dino and Synthetic (assuming that GM puts synthetic out of the plant)?

Is it OK to go to synthetic now, or should I wait another 5 or 6K?

What about the tranny? I haven't done ANY thing to it, have I messed up there?

I truly appreciate all the knowledge and wisdom here. This truck will be MY truck for a long time, and I want it to last!

2tough2park
10-18-2006, 14:59
Randee,

Mine takes 10 quarts.

You can use Dexron but I flushed mine with Transynd before I put a new filter on.

I use Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic.

Yes, fill the tranny filter for install and don't forget to make sure you keep the magnet. It is possible to throw the magnet out with the filter.

Mike

10 quarts?? Good god! Anyhoo, what's the intervals every one is using? Should I go by the DIC or say about 5k miles as I used to?

Stlheadake
10-19-2006, 10:26
I am switching to synthetic and plan to change at 7K intervals. I don't think that should be a problem as far as oil life. I got 'stuck' with a two oil changes worth of Amsoil, and I might try to go a little further on those.

I don't have anything against Amsoil at all. I won't get my money out of it because I won't go that far between changes.

MikeC
10-19-2006, 15:53
upsguy,

I do feel the better lubrication of the synthetic will slow down the break in, definantly will not stop wear. What this meant to me was to let the truck get a few more miles and then change to synthetic. The presumption of mileage gains with wear was from reading other posts in the forums.

Randee,

My 6.5 took 7 with the bypass filtration so 10 is not bad. Some others brands take even more.

I go with every 5K as I don't put enough miles on fast enough to go by the DIC. If I waited for it, the oil would just be getting it's first change and the truck is almost 18 months old.

2tough2park
10-20-2006, 08:55
[QUOTE=MikeC]upsguy,

I do feel the better lubrication of the synthetic will slow down the break in, definantly will not stop wear. What this meant to me was to let the truck get a few more miles and then change to synthetic. The presumption of mileage gains with wear was from reading other posts in the forums.

Randee,

My 6.5 took 7 with the bypass filtration so 10 is not bad. Some others brands take even more.

Yea. Could be a lot worse. We could have 7.3 Powerstrokes with SIXTEEN quart oil changes. A guy I worked with bought one about 4 years ago. Said his oil changes were in the three figure price range. Ouch.