PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Drivers license(s) CDL ?'s

Hubert
10-18-2006, 13:26
I am contemplating getting my CDL. Basically for personal opportunity and some job flexibility. Not for an OTR operator position.

1. I picked up my states cdl booklet and read it cover to cover. Not real hard but to pass a written test I'd have to study a few sections over again especially the hazmat.

2. I looked over the internet and found 2 training programs within reasonable distance. And several more programs independant and company sponsored nationally.

Most schools seem to be 3 or 4 weeks long. 2-3 weeks classroom then time behind the wheel.

It seems like a big racket. I really really dislike having to pay a lot of money and take several hours of classes on map reading, operation of the diesel engine, basic operation of turbo, clutch, manual transmission, gauge reading, and the truckers life etc. Frankly I feel like I know 75-90% of what they are going to gloss over in class. YES, I need some specific truck knowledge and some driving coaching.

Anyone have experience breaking into trucking? Just how important is a diploma from a program? If: I have a college degree, can interview well, show stable job performance, professionalism, have a CDL and can show I spent a comparable amount of time driving as a program student but did not take a course would I have a shot in local job interview?

Of the 2 schools Alliance truck driver training ~ $5800 and Sage truck driver training ~$3700. Is Alliance considered that much better of a school?

I don't necessarily see a huge difference in the training curriculum. Both provide placement assistance for life. In fact Sage seems to be more geared to my States CDL test as it is in my state (SC); Alliance is in NC just across the line.

Opinions and advice appreciated.

Craig M
10-19-2006, 10:25
Not sure if there are any new requirements on training but I can tell you what was required in the past. To get a CDL one had to pass the written test and pass the driving test. I am not now and have never been a commercial trucker. I have some old trucks that I use in the collector truck and old equipment hobby. I read the CDL booklet cover to cover. I read it again. Everything in the written test was from the book. If you can read and understand the book, you can pass the written test. You did not have to go to a truck school to pass the written test. The driving test has 3 parts. The walk around, skills, and driving. The walk around is when you show the inspector that you know what to look at as you walk around the vehicle. Loose bolts, air lines that kind of stuff. The procedure for this is in the book. So again if you understand the book, you can pass this part. The skills part is next. Stop at a line, back up and a few easy things. The hardest part of the skills, and from by visual observation, the part that 85% of the truck school graduates flunk, is the back up into a parking stall. The book describes this, but it is a 90 degree turn into a 12 foot or so wide parking stall. You can only pull forward a maximum of 3 times. The driving part is you driving on the local streets and freeway and showing that you can drive the vehicle. After you pass your written you get a permit to drive a full size truck. I set up some cones to practice the 90 degree parking stall part of the skills test. If you have access to a truck all you need to do is practice. If you or your friends do not have a truck to practice on, then go to the local Hertz or Ryder and rent one. As I remenber a full size truck is only about $100.00 a day. In two days you will get more time behind the seat than any of those $4000 schools, and $200 is better than $4000. Your skill level will determine how much time you need to practice. The haz mat is one of the more difficult parts of the book. I got the air brake and tripples endorsements, but did not get the haz mats. If you read and comprehend the book then you can do the haz mat endorsement if you so desire.

ZZ
10-19-2006, 12:48
I have a class "A" CDL even though I've never drove a big truck. I was lucky and grandfathered in when I was a school bus driver in 1990. Craig is right about studying the booklet. The written tests aren't that difficult. I think he left out that there is a pre-trip test when you take the driving test. There is a lot to remember during the pre-trip inspection.

Hubert
10-19-2006, 19:28
Thanks guys

I read for a few hours over on a truck driver forum and started thinking about it. And this is my take on it so far.

My original question is really way too open ended. "The trucking industry" has a big range. No 3, 4, 5, 6 week, or 6 month school is going to prepare someone for everything. And I do respect there is real skill involved in learning to secure some freight and being able to handle big loads safely. And a school diploma is not enough to get those jobs. Thats OJT and experience only. So I can't see paying for the expensive training to drive a lower skill job since I am going to have to work my way up anyway.

Seems some of these schools that are charging for training and offering placement are really double dipping. No wonder a salesman in a suit showed up to "recruit" me into school. I am sure he is going to get a nice commision from XYZ company if he gets me on with them after I finish training. I know some companies are lined up at the door ready to hire. Heck placement for life now sounds like they would like to be my agent. I have read drivers get bonuses for leads and bringing in new drivers etc so you know the market is hungry.

I am going to research some more and see what my options are.

ISEEDIT
10-20-2006, 06:54
In Minnesota you can use a pick up trk and gooseneck trailer to take the driving parts of the test. But to start with as someone posted, practice with your trk and a bumper hitch trailer or gooseneck (if practice is needed backing etc.) then rent a trk with air breaks and a short trailer (28ft) and take the test. Nothing against the paid for class room training - some people need it as they have no experances or skills with trking. Some guys have good common sense and can learn quickly on their own. Hook up with an in town trucking company and do some "on the job" training/trucking with them for a month or two if you don't have alot of comfort on your own. I too am studing for my CDL - as from time to time it would have made life easyer. I plan on written testing sometime in Nov (slower time of yr for me) and take the driver part of test sometime during the winter (maybe during a nasty snowstorm to excite the examiner some). Good luck...

Craig M
10-20-2006, 15:52
Some of the trucking companies prefer to train ther own drivers. Teach them the "right" way to drive and all that. That is one free way to get the CDL. if you like the company, you can stay with them, if not you have the CDL.

cowboywildbill
11-10-2006, 10:26
I have a Md. full class A TPX CDL with Hazmat. I started driving big rigs in the 70's. Things have really changed since then. You have to have a current DOT physical every two years, when I moved & changed my address I had to appear in person 1/2 day just to do what a regular licensee would do via mail. Because of terroism concerns they make the CDL go in person. Also there is a mandatory two or three different background check now. YOu or your company pay's for that.
And in Md. if you get two speeding tickets, no matter how much over the limit you are revoked. One tailgating ticket and you are revoked. Any alcohol on your breath at all while driving anything is an automatic susppension, if you go to Md. MVA site it will show you the rules.
But that is what we go thru to drive. Good luck. I don't mean to scare you.

Craig M
11-10-2006, 15:48
Cowboybill is correct. Each state has different rules, but they do make the rules harder for CDL license holders than the gerenal public. In California they use the point system for drivers. One can take traffic school to not get points for some violations. New rule, if one has a CDL they cannot go to traffic school any more. Even tickets from driving in non commercial vehicles count agains one.

colt49
11-16-2006, 16:59
I have mine and live in Colo. here you have to have a CDL if you drive a vehicle over certain weights and lengths. This now includes farm trucks, pick ups/trailers hauling hay tractors etc. Colo gives a CDL driver more points than a regular driver. If you take time to learn the skills and remember the criteria you use for your driving you are fine. You forget alot if you don't use it and review it and that is normal human traits. The law enforcement officers that stop you in general treat you with more respect if you have a CDL and that goes a real long way sometimes for minor offenses. If you are talking drunk, drugs, crazy,drag racing etc. you will be ticketed no matter what license you hold. If you use a CDL as an excuse for being a professional drunk driver they can prove to you that the fine can and will be larger and all your counseling and community service will be alot longer if they choose. One absolute thing you never do is haul a load or run a truck that is junk or an illegal load for a jerk employer that tells you if a cop gives you a ticket he will pay it. So what it's not his CDL!1 Tell them to go to hell! Never trust them to pay any ticket it will happen they won't if they decide to screw you. An arrest warrant will be issued for you not the company or the foreman and you go to jail on the spot!! Just try and get out too. They want you in jail here to make more money off you in the system. They get you in court and detention and counseling and fines and probation and more. You know that be smart. Next the drivers of pickups with campers and boats and RV/boat combos will have to CDL up as these old duffers are too old to operate these!!! More are retired every day and the boomers will increase that by millions soon. Most people think they know how to drive and hook up and take off just haull ass down the slab. SUPER TRUCKER IS BORN what the hell do you have now? A mess, if you ever have that trailer go around on you in black ice snow hydro planed situations you'll be a believer if you live along with your family and the other ones involved. The true lesson pro drivers never forget is to gear down on a hill. Pro's don't fly of the top of a 6% downer. If you ever ride out a runaway you will know what I mean. Just miss or loose a gear and you will find out what a hero you are when your brakes burn off in 1 minute and your tires light; what's up pro??? Take any training you can get in mountains the steeper the better and the snow is good too. Chain up and learn what the hell your sitting on. Professional drivers make great money Super Trucker goes from job to job. They are known as tramp truckers. You will know them when you meet them avoid them they will screw up your rig and you will wreck if they sabotage you. They want you to wreck if they are telling the boss Bull **** on you. Always check your rig in the pretrip twice step by step. Look for the maybe items they turn into terrible problems when it all comes apart on the road. All you have to do next is miss all the 4 wheelers that own the road and you are a truck driver. Just some things I know in the industry. Make your own judgements... Good luck and hang on get your CB ready.

Hubert
12-05-2006, 18:42
Thanks advice appreciated and helped with my decision.

I just passed the SC CDL Class A tests and recieved my license today. I ended up taking a 4 week course at a community technical college. Spent 1 week going over a truck text book and watching educational films, took the permit test, then practiced driving a truck for ~3 weeks. Well I have to finish observing and log time as instructed the rest of this week and make up a few hours to finish the course and recieve a certificate but have my license now.

I recommend this way. BUT you absolutely have to shop around and compare programs!!! For instance 2 nearby community technical schools: No. 1 - Its a 9 week course with ~ 30 students all together in class room then grouped 5 to a truck and you don't drive everyday after you get your permit. No. 2 - its 4 weeks 6 - 9 students, grouped 3 (max) to a truck and after you get your permit you drive some everyday.

The course gave me more insight than doing it on my own. I could have passed the permit test by myself but it may have taken 1 practice try to understand some of the test logic. The course and instructors helped me with a few of the almost too simple it must be a trick question questions ( I over analysed it). I think most people could do it with a couple of practice tests with answers as a helpful study quide. Actually driving requires some skills and compentancy to begin with then most people will need a little coaching. I did. I was a little surprised at how hard it is to smoothly change gears. Double clutching took some getting use to. Backing wasn't quite as easy as I thought either. Niether were hard just took a bit of practice and learning the rig. Having practice time on the actual skills course and some experienced advice helped tremedously. At this DMV facility the alley dock wasn't on perfectly level ground and the crown of the skills pad affected the turning. Practice helped learn the break of the turn. We had one student that had a lot of previous experience driving that had to learn the break. He was a good driver with better skills than me. During practice he could alley dock much quicker and be in better alignment than me but actually failed his first skills test with the DMV inspector. Just to show you practice makes perfect.

The school had ~ 5 or 6 recruiters come in to talk to the class. They all put on about the same presentation but by the end if you piece all of it together you get a feel and little more knowledgable about whats out there for the big companies.

Craig M
12-06-2006, 13:00
Congradulations on passing the skills and driving test. Sounds like you selected a good school. At the DMV skills site I was at it seemed like 90% or more of the "school" graduates failed the skills test. Lack of enough time behind the wheel is probaly the biggest issue, and the fact that the schools were mostly wanting federal dollars an not caring about the students the other issue.