PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Pyrometer Probe

johnanc
10-19-2006, 20:55
Are there any special procedures needed when drilling and taping for pyrometer probe install into exhaust manifold of K2500 6.5 TD? Thought I'd mount probe on forward side of manifold in throat just below where turbo attaches.

Hubert
10-20-2006, 06:06
There is a small square boss on outer side below the turbo that most use. That's where I did mine. I had inner fender out while doing injectors/GP's.

I did what I have read. I marked the spot center drilled it then cranked the truck up and while idling drilled it out slowly. I stepped the drill size up can't remember exactly I think I started 3/16 then 2 more drills to size and did my best to break out slowly. The exhaust blows chips back at you so wear glasses! You can cut truck off and let cool between drills then let it cool again before tapping. Use plenty of cutting oil (its hard to keep on the tap cause the exhaust will blow it off the tap) and work tap back and forth a lot to break the chip as small as possible. Let it cool back down to test pipe thread depth. And or remember not to overtighten the probe if its cold and exhaust is warm cause it will be really tight when both are warm. I put a little antisieze on my adapter too.

MTTwister
10-20-2006, 10:20
Loaded the drill bits and the tap up with Wheel bearing grease - went really slowly, backing them out and recoating frequently. Did this without the truck running. Hopefully it wasn't just dumb luck, maybe just dumb :) but it worked.