PDA

View Full Version : Question - Replacing Injectors

rtphillips370
10-20-2006, 16:19
I have been looking at injectors for my truck (see my signature block). I purchased a book from Haynes that covers most chevy diesels howwver, it appears to cover more of the 5.7L and 6.2 Injection more than the 6.5L TD.

My question is, that other than purchasing the special socket, is there anything that I should be aware of or any special considerations involving changing of injectors on my own?

I'm a novice to intermediate level back yard mechanic on gas but have never worked on a diesel at this level and hate to start pulling injectors and find out that I have biten off more than I can chew. So far the book shows it to be a straight forward job, much like changing spark plugs on a gasser...

Thanks ahead of time...

Hubert
10-20-2006, 16:37
I'd suggest getting the diesel page book its written for the avg joe. It gave me more confidence to do my own injectors.

And read a lot of threads on the subject its been covered several times. Its not real hard but time consuming the first time for us back yard guys.

Buy from reputable source and get an installation kit. If there do glow plugs too.

kevin77
10-20-2006, 17:35
I replaced the injectors on My truck almost a year ago - Did the glow plugs too.

Drivers side can be done in an hour or two.

The passenger side is much more difficult - I had to remove the turbo and hoses to get to the injectors - I also replaced my injector pump at the same time 'cause it was worn out.

Also, Kennedy has this wonderful return line kit that saves you the headache of trying to get those little clips back on the injector return lines. The kit is worth its weight in gold.

Kevin

cudaaa
10-20-2006, 17:53
Hi Robert
I Just got done replacing my injectors. It was not as bad as I thought! You need to remove the turbo. On the back side of the turbo comes off with 4 bolts, this needs to be removed to get the main turbo bolts out!
I would spray all 8 bolts with penetrating lube the night before. Break the lines loose, remove the first clamp up from the injectors & Gently flex the lines so you have enough room to get the socket on them. Do one side at a time, replace all the rubber return lines & glow plugs. Once one side is complete start the engine & let run untill it smooths out. Then shut off the engine & continue with the other side. This will allow the air to be bled from the injectors with out a lot of excessive cranking!
I bought my injectors from Bill Heath he will loan you the socket with a deposit & just return the socket with the injector cores & he refunds the deposit & he pays for the return shipping. He is a great guy to work with & will do his best to answer any question. I hope this helps & good luck cudaaa

trbankii
10-21-2006, 16:59
Newbie question, but what signs lead you to replacing injectors/pump? Just curious. Is it a mileage thing or actual symptoms? Many thanks!

rtphillips370
10-21-2006, 18:30
When I had it in for the PMD service, the mechanic advised that the injectors should be replaced every 100K miles and im 50k past that. He also advised that may be one source of my complaint that the truck feel s a bit weak when pulling my trailer... I had the plugs replaced not to long ago and it still starts well in cold weather, so I may be able to skate a while longer before doing those again.

kevin77
10-21-2006, 20:19
Newbie question, but what signs lead you to replacing injectors/pump? Just curious. Is it a mileage thing or actual symptoms? Many thanks!

My injector pump was dying so I decided to take the plunge and replace the injector pump, injectors and glow plugs - I was close to 200,000 miles on my truck at the time and did not knwo when the injectors were last replaced.

Kevin

trbankii
10-22-2006, 11:18
Thanks for the replies. It stands to reason that sparkplugs and glowplugs wear out over time and need to be replaced. Injectors have moving parts and with the pressures involved I can see that they "erode" over time. Just getting an idea of either time-based lifespan or other indicators that you're due.

Hubert
10-22-2006, 16:53
Well the usual preferred performance lifespan is approximately 100K miles. I have seen range 80-120K used and also due at 120K miles. I haven't found maintenance schedule clearly called out in my helm manual.

A lot depends on normal use of truck and fuel quality. For example: someone with 4.10 gearing towing hard high rpm's - a lot of fuel pushed through injectors vs light daily driving cruising at low rpm's - where not a lot of fuel is pushed through injectors. Then compare qualities of fuel filter maintenance etc. Regional differences in fuel blend for winter etc etc. So its hard to say a one size all fits lifespan milage or timewise for replacing injectors.

murphyslaw
10-22-2006, 18:55
Well the usual preferred performance lifespan is approximately 100K miles. I have seen range 80-120K used and also due at 120K miles. I haven't found maintenance schedule clearly called out in my helm manual.

A lot depends on normal use of truck and fuel quality. For example: someone with 4.10 gearing towing hard high rpm's - a lot of fuel pushed through injectors vs light daily driving cruising at low rpm's - where not a lot of fuel is pushed through injectors. Then compare qualities of fuel filter maintenance etc. Regional differences in fuel blend for winter etc etc. So its hard to say a one size all fits lifespan milage or timewise for replacing injectors.

yeah guess its like figuring a hard schedual for changing spark plug, theres alot of varibels

Ed2000
11-04-2006, 07:29
Question for teh group, if your 1996 6.5TD has 203,000 miles, linking coolant, bad injection pumps, requiring new injectors, tec. Would it be just a good time to rebuild the engine and replace everything, or do a compression check first?

Robyn
11-04-2006, 07:42
If you are losing coolant you need to find out where its going and fix it.
With 200K on the beast it could be going inside!!
Compression test wont show anything much for a small coolant loss but can be useful to see what the overall condition of things is.
probably a good time to do a rebuild.

autocrosser
11-04-2006, 07:50
I think using a fuel additive has cointributed to longivity in my 96 truck and my sons 95. He has about 200k on the injectors and pump and I have about 125k on mine. I haul a 8k camper up steep hills and have a trailered boat that weighs about 10k with the trailer. I've used a addative since it was new. I can't tell any difference due to mileage and the fuel mileage is about the same as new.

Ed2000
11-04-2006, 16:49
Question for teh group, if your 1996 6.5TD has 203,000 miles, linking coolant, bad injection pumps, requiring new injectors, tec. Would it be just a good time to rebuild the engine and replace everything, or do a compression check first?

I really think that I am losing coolant into one of the cylinders. I always though a compression test would reveal which one the coolant was leaking through. I know I am losing collant, and no leaks underneath the truck. Is tere some type of exsuat test to check for coolant residue?

Its time to rebuild, but first will do a compression check and replace any injectors.

Thanks