PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else not like the dipstick on the LBZ engine

upsguy
10-21-2006, 16:28
I wish it had the flat metal dipstick with the cross-hatched area showing where the oil level should be. I hate the cable with the little round gauge thing on the end. Its harder than heck to get an accurate reading on the thing. I think when pulling it out, the indentions on the guage catch oil and make it look like you have more oil than you actually do. I try to look at the backside, but I just changed oil and it's hard to see at what level the fresh oil is.

And you'd think they'd designed the skid plate so that it didn't catch all of the oil dripping out of the drain hole.

mark45678
10-22-2006, 10:50
I wish it had the flat metal dipstick with the cross-hatched area showing where the oil level should be. I hate the cable with the little round gauge thing on the end. Its harder than heck to get an accurate reading on the thing. I think when pulling it out, the indentions on the guage catch oil and make it look like you have more oil than you actually do. I try to look at the backside, but I just changed oil and it's hard to see at what level the fresh oil is.

And you'd think they'd designed the skid plate so that it didn't catch all of the oil dripping out of the drain hole.

all the duramax trucks 2001~2006 have the same type dip stick..... I dont think its a big issue, 10 QTs in the pan when I change the oil and never check it untill its ready for its next change. Once the motor got some miles on it and done a few good hard pulls they dont use oil (maybe 1 qt in 5000 mile).

I removed the skid plate and cut about 1 inch off where the drain plug is, or you can fold a piece of card board up and let the oil drain off that.

DmaxMaverick
10-22-2006, 11:51
You have a couple options to make life better.

Dipstick.
Drill 1/8" holes in the valleys. Pull dipstick and wipe off oil and blow out the holes. Dip it, and the holes will fill where the oil level is. Don't drill smaller holes, as the oil won't fill. You can go slightly larger if the holes don't fill. Works very well.

Skid plate.
Remove some of the material, as Mark said. Not too difficult, and a permanent fix.
Get a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. Available from several TDP Advertisers (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/main.htm). Nice addition. Prevents the oil from hitting the plate, and makes the whole service experience less messy, and more convenient. No more oil dripping off your elbow, or dropping the plug in your drainpan. Get the valve with the nipple, and it'll clear the plate every time. Also, it makes oil sampling very easy, and you can install a hose to the nipple to make changes totally mess-less.
Cardboard, cut out drink container, or aluminum foil. If you are careful, less messy.