PDA

View Full Version : Bad Head Gasket/heads Lb7

DMAXED
10-21-2006, 18:15
I dropped my truck ( 01 LB7 ) at the dealer last monday for coolant system under high pressure blowing coolant out of overflow bottle and no heat , temp gage reads 160 * . so I called the dealer on friday to see whats going on with the truck and he told me they were waiting on parts ( new heads ) and it would at least another week . has this happend to anyone else ?

Kennedy
10-23-2006, 06:15
I hope it's under warranty. Head gasket failure isn't realy all too common, but 2001 seems to be most common and VERY seldom is it anything other than a head gasket or injector cup seal. I have a customer in NY who had the dealer tell him that his block was porous. :rolleyes:

Every one that I've heard of was fixed by gaskets and/or resealing the cup seals...

DMAXED
10-23-2006, 18:30
Thanks for the info kennedy I will call the dealer tomorrow to find out what's going on with the truck , and yes it's still under the GM PP warranty .

DMAXED
10-28-2006, 06:10
Parts came in wednesday , new heads and gaskets , the service manager said it will take at least five days to fix sounds like a long time to r&r heads don't know how they can make any money like that.

FrankA
10-28-2006, 07:25
Happened to my 2001 Chevy Duramax. It would blow out the overflow hose only when I was going up a big hill or under heavy towing. Took them almost 3 weeks to fix. The warrantte covered it and that is why it took so long becuase GM makes them fix it a certain way. They fix one side then put it back together. Then I got it back and same thing so they did the other side. They also had difficult time getting parts--told me three weeks to get parts from factory--i told them that wasnt good enough and that they need to find parts from another dealer and they did about 4 days later. Also when I went back to check on my truck they had it outside with all the turbo parts in the back of the truck and when they worked on it they would let the air out of the front tires so they could reach the engine better---not happy. Traded it in on a 2005 to another dealer- they didnt even look at it and they were patient enough to wait for it to be fixed--if you do this make sure you give the correct "condition" of the truck--I told them it was in "good" condition "KB value" and they were happy with that.
good luck.

FrankA
10-28-2006, 07:27
Just read Kennedy's reply--they did reseal the cups and replaced both head gaskets on mine.

dmaxalliTech
10-28-2006, 21:56
I would also be curious as to problem with heads. Likely could be just warped and GM dont advise them to cut/resurface them, rather to replace.

Unlikely they are beyond repair though.

DMAXED
11-04-2006, 16:21
I still haven't got my truck back when I called last week the service manager told me they were waiting to hear back from GM , he said the engine had to come out of the truck to get the turbo bolt off the manifold , so they can't get the heads off , as of friday the engine was comming out and I was told that I would get the truck back Tuesday or Wednesday I am leaving for Lake Placid, NY Thursday morning and I don't know if should trust the truck will make a 5 1/2 hour ride with no problems and then the ride back home.

FrankA
11-05-2006, 08:28
I drove mine for about 8 weeks with the coolant leak. Also did towing. I just bought a couple gallans of coolant and topped it off after it cooled down or if i couldnt wait i would very slowly take the cap of and top it off.Good luck.
I traded my truck in for a new one because i did not trust the dealers work. I
dont think they shaved down the heads-they just put new gaskets on and sealed the cups.

dmaxalliTech
11-05-2006, 20:31
I still haven't got my truck back when I called last week the service manager told me they were waiting to hear back from GM , he said the engine had to come out of the truck to get the turbo bolt off the manifold , so they can't get the heads off , as of friday the engine was comming out and I was told that I would get the truck back Tuesday or Wednesday I am leaving for Lake Placid, NY Thursday morning and I don't know if should trust the truck will make a 5 1/2 hour ride with no problems and then the ride back home.
obviously there first time doing this job. I have found that pulling the engine makes the job much easier and we do it this way everytime now. Motor out, new gaskets, motor back in in 10 hours.

More Power
11-08-2006, 20:05
I'm surprised that removing the inner fender liners don't provide enough room and access when R&Ring the heads.

For what it's worth, I heard from a Ford guy, after showing him engine bay pics of the new 6.4L PSD, who said the truck's cab has to come off to do any serious engine work..... :rolleyes:

Jim

DMAXED
11-13-2006, 21:54
I still haven't got my truck back this is getting ridicules

DMAXED
11-17-2006, 21:48
I got my truck back tonight after a month at the dealer , r/r left cylinder head and now I get smoke out of the tail pipe I can't tell what color the smoke is it was dark when I picked up the truck and the engine sounds funny like something is hitting the fan but nothing is hitting the fan , I am going to stomp the truck hard tomorrow and we will see what happens . can't wait to bring it back to the dealer it might take another month to fix .

More Power
11-18-2006, 00:11
Spend some time going over all of the parts & hardware that might have been removed during the head R&R. It happens sometimes, that some part or fastener isn't installed correctly (or is missing).

Jim