PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch problem?

RCourtney
04-18-2004, 13:15
Friday morning, my truck wouldn't start. No lamps on the instrument panel, wouldn't turn over, just a faint click when I turned the key to "start" position (glow plug relay?). Radio, power windows, etc. worked OK. Weather was cool and damp. Didn't have time to investigate, got to work another way, then came back to it Saturday a.m. Everything was working perfectly and it started right up! Weather was sunny and a little warmer. I drove it all day, stopping and restarting the engine several times with no problem. Ended up at a friend's house for several hours in the evening and then had the same problem when I tried to leave. Weather was quite cool but dry. The truck is still there - no change in lights or power after sitting all night and half of today (sunny). I tried checking grounds, fuses, and connections but everything looked and/or tested OK. I'm thinking ignition switch, since I've seen a couple of posts on it. Any feedback on whether I'm barking up the right tree would be greatly appreciated. Also, I didn't see any tips on testing the switch short of replacing it - anyone have any?

C.K. Piquup
04-18-2004, 18:26
Did you check starter connections?I was blowing the maxi-fuse.When I went to check starter connections I found harness sheathing against the down pipe,a little melted.I pulled it away,replaced the fuse,and she fired right up.That`s all it took.

C.K. Piquup
04-18-2004, 18:42
If that doesn`t do it,here`s anoter thought.I also originaly suspected the ignition switch.Do you have tilt wheel?When inside the column(need tool to pull switch,first)I notice there wasn`t much slack in the wires and they were kinked from tilting,not cut.So I pulled what slack I could and it seemed ok for a couple of days.There are only two wires,so if accesories are energized and starter not,it`s probably the starter,connection,or that short I mentioned before.

patrick m.
04-19-2004, 15:34
that sounds like the classic battery cable connection problem to me.
take em off, and clean them up and re-install nice and tight, then try to start it again.

RCourtney
04-24-2004, 15:03
Thanks for the feedback, Patrick & CK. I ended up replacing the switch, and that seemed to do the trick.