PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise on LBZ

mattleaders
10-22-2006, 17:46
I have noticed a ticking noise coming from the my engine at idle. It does it consitently at idle and is getting anoying. I noticed that my friend's GMC does the same thing. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this and if someone has found the root of the problem? Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
10-22-2006, 19:24
Welcome to the Forums!

Does it sound like an old fashioned manual typewriter? No regularity to it, random? If so, it's normal, and nothing to worry about. It will go away after a while.

If the sound has any regularity to it (like in time with cam or crank events), have the dealer check it out. Not normal.

mark45678
10-23-2006, 11:18
I hate to say it but thats normal for ALL duramax motors with fresh oil.... as they get some miles on it will do it less but it comes back with every oil change. my 2001 ,2004.5 and my 2006 all do it. Some oils do it worse then others but its normal and nothing to worry about.

mattleaders
10-23-2006, 17:05
Ya the ticking is irregular and i'm not mechanicaly concerned about it but it does get very anoying and I would like to find the root of it if I could. I use rotella 15 w 40 every 4000 and im at 12000 miles right now hopefully it will stop sometime soon.

DmaxMaverick
10-23-2006, 17:33
If you figure it out, let us know. GM has their answer(s), but doesn't hold water, with me, anyway. I was hearing mine tick away before most GM dealer techs even saw their first Duramax truck. Explanations varied from fuel pressure valve cycling to air in the oil. All we ever got was their "best guess". It hasn't seemed to have any effect on performance or longevity. Waste time on it if you want, but I think that will be just that, a waste of time. Good luck.