PDA

View Full Version : FSD remote cooler, just want to be ready..

cndbackwoods
10-23-2006, 12:22
Hi guys..
Bought my truck late summer to make the move up here to the backwoods of Central Ontario. '98 Silverado 4x4 ext cab. She has been a great workhorse to get moved and get around these cottage roads.. until lately... did the stall on warm starts, then began stuttering, until she stranded me in the first snow storm of the season, in a bad position on the road.. and an expensive tow to get her home.

I'm 99% sure its the FSD, so I ordered the remote cooler kit from Kennedy and it should arrive in a day or two. In the meantime I wanted to be ready so have disconnected the old one that is mounted to the IP, and have snaked the connecter upwards as far as I could get it to come out... if my pictures are clear enough can anyone take a quick peak and tell me if thats as far as it'll come out?
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43d7182ez42dbc34c/41b0scd/__sr_/5235scd.jpg?phozRPFBX1DHfYvm
If the pics don't come through.. the connector is now just above the old FSD, barely poking up, but enough that I could snap the extension on there w/o much trouble..

Just wanted to say thanks to you folks for providing the resource for a guy like me to try and repair my own truck, and hopefully save hundreds, if not thousands. The local dealer wanted $750 cnd, for the FSD alone!:eek: and there isn't much chance of me removing the intake anytime soon... so pleased as punch for an option, that is cheaper, and easier.

JohnC
10-23-2006, 12:32
Looks like it's snagged on something. I'd remove the top of the air intake for a better view. You should be able to do wo without needing a new gasket. Just don't drop anything down the hole...

If you have EGR, make sure the round gasket in the middle of the EGR chimney is present.

cndbackwoods
10-23-2006, 13:39
Thank you kindly John..

sorry to be a bit newbish, but how much slack should I be looking for? I went out and played with it again and have got it out perhaps another couple of inches... is that enough?
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43d7182ez42dbc34c/41b0scd/__sr_/4554scd.jpg?phwBTPFBOCtnuZUG

I can grab it easily..http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43d7182ez42dbc34c/41b0scd/__sr_/4a5ascd.jpg?phwBTPFBqYLwJoUH

thanks again

dieselbobny
11-02-2006, 15:22
When I replaced my PMD a couple months ago-you can unscrew 2 of the Torx screws out all the way - the other ones I took a hacksaw blade to and cut through them to remove old PMD from pump.

Warren96
11-03-2006, 06:27
I have done this surgery to 2 PMD's so far and found that the connector dose not come out very far, it does not matter.All you need is enough to get your extension on.The old one you can leave on the pump,it's not in the way. I made my own extension though, does your extension have one plug or 2 on one end and one on the other?

cndbackwoods
11-04-2006, 01:08
hi gents.. just to fill in

I received my kit from kennedy, had all the pieces installed quickly enough.. and the 40" cable was plenty long enough to reach the cooler behind the drivers side battery on my '98

She was hard to start but I thought it was just low batteries.. but she did fire and run.. and quit. Sooo, I ran out for a new fuel filter.. put 'that' on and boom she was hard to start, but started and stayed started.. until I decided to pull out the driveway and take her for a blast. She quit on me not 30 seconds down the road.. I had enough, call the CAA and had the damn thing towed to a mechanic in the small town that is local....

Visit him today, to hear that he could get her started and run, but quit on him too.. turns out the .. and I could be gettin this a bit wrong.. but the Fuel Sending Unit.. at the tank is leaking.. so is sucking air and causing my stalls hard start.

I'll test when I get her home with the old FSD on the IP to verify if I wasted money on the cooler kit, but I'm trying to be positive and look at it as preventive mtce on the IP by being cooler itself.. on my high kilometer girl.. 298Km.. he we come 300.

Can anyone else verify this item on the tank and link me to any talks about it.. I searched but came up empty.

JohnC
11-04-2006, 14:16
Have you verified the lift pump works? When you changed the filter were you able to bleed it?

cndbackwoods
11-04-2006, 18:32
yep, as far as I could say having been my first time doing it. Fuel came out the bleeder and made an awful mess despite my attempt to sop it up with paper towels.

She fired up and ran for a good 4-5 mins in the driveway before I decided to give her a try down the road..

I was worried I hadn't installed the fuel filter properly and introduced an air leak there... or my next guess was the OPS. I would have needed to go out and buy the tool, so was a bit frustrated and gave in. I'm not sure I'd have found this Fuel Sending Unit leak he described.. its not mentioned here much altho I had read something in my searches about stalling and reference to the tank..

still a bit worried I'm getting hosed, but at this point.. I just want my truck back..its been weeks and winter approaches.

thanks again John

Warren96
11-06-2006, 17:55
My truck had a rusted fuel line between the tank and fuel pump.It would run until i got down to 1/2 tank .How much fuel is in the tank?If you look under the truck you will see a damp spot where air is getting in the fuel line between the tank and lift pump.You say fuel came out the bleeder,was it bubbling out with air or was it squirting fuel without air in it?