PDA

View Full Version : Ford 6.0's eating turbos

Mark Rinker
10-24-2006, 19:46
Talked to a guy today who knows the fleet manager at a local utility that tows regularly with Ford 6.0s. Said he isn't happy as they are going through turbos - one truck has had two replaced under warranty so far. Same story with his neighbor, who tows a race trailer, and has gone back to a 7.2 after the same experience.

I can't recall even one posting here regarding turbo problems with the Dmax. Has anyone heard of a non-race application turbo failure?

hapaschold
10-26-2006, 02:42
yeah, the turbo s are sticking....? my van had a turbo change at about 27k on the odo.along with the egr plugging up, passages too small and solenoid coil not srong enough.

turbos sticking are blamed on trucks sitting ? ha i used to drive mine every day...
starting sticking at 27k........went thru hell with selling dealer to get fixed, 6 weeks and no resolve, went to another dealer, was fixed with update turbo in 4 days. and got some pain and suffering money from a breach of warranty suit against ford.. will help make up for diminished value ,the 6.0 s are suffering from .. ok, actually spent that at gm dealer !

have only driven mine 5k since repair, no problems sticking, and no egr clog ups, been using power service, white bottle in all my diesels now.

mark45678
10-26-2006, 18:13
the fun part is they have to take the body off the truck to service the turbo on any of the superduty truck...... WTF where they thinking , clean piece of paper, make the body work with the motor. Warrenty cost are WAY to high on all diesel truck pulling the cab off cant be cost effective.

hapaschold
10-27-2006, 03:24
even the new 08 superduty will require cab off for certain repairs, will look for link i saw back alittle about fords training via internet for cab off repairs. ford planned to have 5000 mechanics trained by 7/07 to service the new 6.4. think i figured out why ford needs twin turbos, the first is used to un stick the primary !

tbrowne
10-27-2006, 13:40
Let's see - we have bad injectors that cost in excess of 5 grand to fix and they have some turbo problems. Does it really make any difference?

big61fourby
10-27-2006, 20:15
Let's see - we have bad injectors that cost in excess of 5 grand to fix and they have some turbo problems. Does it really make any difference?

Exactly. Dodges have some quirks too. They all have plenty of issues.