PDA

View Full Version : Tire Chains

MikeyB
10-25-2006, 18:45
I went hunting in the Colorado mountains this week and had to chain up. I put the chains on the front tires even though the owners manual says not to. The roads were basically impassable in 4lo without the chains. Anyone know GM's thinking about no chains on the front except the obvious for loose links and cv boots and such? Would it be better on the drivetrain to chain all 4 wheels?

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. I was really impressed with the truck in these conditions. My buddy has a diesel Ford F-350 and was sliding around alot more than me!

DmaxMaverick
10-25-2006, 21:27
You put them on the front, and not the rear? Bad. You should NEVER chain the front, and not the rear. If you do, you take are real gamble on the rear becoming the front. Very dangerous.

GM's reason for not chaining the front is as you said, plus clearance. IFS suspension is more "active", compared to SFA, and chains can bind or roll. I've chained up many times, on the rear only, and saw no need to chain the front. There's so much weight up there, chains would likely have gotten me into trouble before out. I have 2 sets of chains, but will likely never use them on the front. The situation would have to be pretty desparate. Either empty, or towing 14K, rear chains have always worked for me. I've considered having a set of HD cables handy for the front, just in case. I think that would be a better option than true chains. The chains I use are high quallity commercial grade. No China junk.

MikeyB
10-26-2006, 07:46
DMAX,

Thanks for the reply. When you said the rear becoming the front do you mean from sliding or hurting something mechanically in the drivetrain? Our situation was mud, plenty of it and extremely deep. We had to chain the front to steer and stay out of previous ruts that were bottoming out the trucks.

Mike

DmaxMaverick
10-26-2006, 08:22
Problem is especially empty. Traction in the front, and none in the rear, equals a turnabout. The rear end will slide around, and become the front. Mechanical damage can also occur. On sippery surfaces, you don't want the front to be the only axle bearing the load.

Greasy mud is a real challenge w/o the right equipment, and only slighty better with all the right stuff. Still, if you have to chain the front, do the rear first. Do what you have to do to get the job done. In any case, never chain only the front.

SoTxPollock
10-28-2006, 15:02
MikeyB, I know where your comming from on chaining up in the Colorado Mountains. I've hunted them sine 1978 and there are some places you can go that if you fell off into the ruts you'd have to winch out and probably tear some things out of the bottom of the truck in the process. You did the right thing, because you're back on the keyboard. There are just some places that I can think of that I've driven that to slip sideways just a few feet would mean tumbling over and over sideways roll straight down several hundred feet of rock and trees, not sure one would survive such a ride.
Slow and sure and chained up is the only way to go in that slick stuff.

MikeyB
10-28-2006, 16:02
SoTXPollock,

Yeah it was a real mess this year. The coldest hunting weather I've ever been in. 12F and knee deep snow. It warmed a bit the following days and caused a muddy mess. We too, go on some roads you just wouldn't want to slip off. I think I'll get another set of chains and just keep all four tires chained up when necessary. I did scrape the rear diff on a rock and that scared me. The thought of trailing gear oil in the middle of nowhere didn't sound good!

Regards,
Mike

Mitchagain1953
10-30-2006, 10:09
Not to p!ss in anyone's Post Toasties, but it'll be a rare day that I only put chains only the rear. I have been in far too many situations where having traction in the rear and "hoping" the front will track would have been disasterous. For me, if I put one set on, I put all 4 on. And its been 25 years since I haven't put them on BEFORE I needed them! Only have to put chains on while wallowing in the mud once or twice as a young man to educate me! Best advice with chains is the same as a winch....know your equipment and know your limitations, but be prepared for the worst, ahead of time! Just remember, less right foot on the peddle and more iron on the ground is better!!

And use heavy duty chains....mine are modified from 11.00x20 oilfield truck chains. Keep them clean and inspected, and use multiple chain tighteners. I made mine from 11.00x20 inner tubes with the hooks made of old cross link connectors. I have never broke one and hope I never do. A dozen years in the oilpatch of Wyoming and hunting in places in Wyoming and Montana where its illegal to go to now with motorized vehicles, and only walked out once, and that was because the muddy sidehill would not hold my winch anchor.

But the real important question is????? How successful was the hunt????