PDA

View Full Version : How fast do you want to go?

McRat
10-26-2006, 16:51
Boy, things have changed alot in the Duramax performance world in the last year.

There are now at least 6 aftermarket turbo systems:

PPE's GT40R and GT42R watercooled kits
BD Performance's SuperMax
ATS's Aurora systems
High Tech Turbo's system
The "Idaho Twins"
Garrett's GT37 kit

There are a couple of Dual CP3 systems that easily push you past 650HP:

PPE's Dual Fueler
ATS's Kit

There are so many different tuning options, that I cannot list them all, but notably:

EFILive custom tuning system has set the bar for tuning.
PPE Handheld Xcelerators that are over 500rwhp on both LB7 and LLY's.

We now have ported heads, cams, pistons, and aftermarket rods as well!

The options available today are quickly making the Duramax the first choice for building a diesel hot-rod. Even the poor little LLY, which was thought to have been the bastaard child of the diesels has now proven to be a real Dodge Killer when set up right. The first Duramax to run an 11 second quarter mile on fuel only was LiLLY!!!

By next summer, I predict the "typical" hot-rod buildup on a Duramax will exceed 3 times the factory HP.

Move over Dodge, like the saying goes, "I should have had a V-8!!" :D

Bobo
10-26-2006, 21:22
Good point. I'm amazed how fast the dmax has progressed forward!:D

Don't forget about the Silverbullet that ran 11's last weekend! Stock sticks, Stock Single CP3, and a Silverbullet charger.

McRat
10-27-2006, 02:10
Good point. I'm amazed how fast the dmax has progressed forward!:D

Don't forget about the Silverbullet that ran 11's last weekend! Stock sticks, Stock Single CP3, and a Silverbullet charger.

Yes, and a stock CP3 truck ran 10's on fuel as well!

Bobo
10-27-2006, 06:27
Yes, and a stock CP3 truck ran 10's on fuel as well!

Stock CP3? :confused: I heard it was modded.

Tough Guy
10-28-2006, 14:51
Boy, things have changed alot in the Duramax performance world in the last year.

There are now at least 6 aftermarket turbo systems:

PPE's GT40R and GT42R watercooled kits
BD Performance's SuperMax
ATS's Aurora systems
High Tech Turbo's system
The "Idaho Twins"
Garrett's GT37 kit

There are a couple of Dual CP3 systems that easily push you past 650HP:

PPE's Dual Fueler
ATS's Kit

There are so many different tuning options, that I cannot list them all, but notably:

EFILive custom tuning system has set the bar for tuning.
PPE Handheld Xcelerators that are over 500rwhp on both LB7 and LLY's.

We now have ported heads, cams, pistons, and aftermarket rods as well!

The options available today are quickly making the Duramax the first choice for building a diesel hot-rod. Even the poor little LLY, which was thought to have been the bastaard child of the diesels has now proven to be a real Dodge Killer when set up right. The first Duramax to run an 11 second quarter mile on fuel only was LiLLY!!!

By next summer, I predict the "typical" hot-rod buildup on a Duramax will exceed 3 times the factory HP.

Move over Dodge, like the saying goes, "I should have had a V-8!!" :D

How much coin does it take to have an LLY run 12's and be a reliable daily driver? Right now it looks like prolly $15,000 for 12's with my current truck, I 've also considered going the twins route with a 03-04 Dodge Cummins, but the prices of the Dmax trucks are getting fairly reasonable.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

McRat
10-28-2006, 16:44
How much coin does it take to have an LLY run 12's and be a reliable daily driver? Right now it looks like prolly $15,000 for 12's with my current truck, I 've also considered going the twins route with a 03-04 Dodge Cummins, but the prices of the Dmax trucks are getting fairly reasonable.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

On Casper (in 2005, it was the first stock charger 12 second LLY) it took this:

Built Allison - $4500. Didn't go cheap, and this is same trans I run mid 11's with. Minimum would be a Transgo kit and converter = $2000 includes fluids.
PPE tuner, PPE boost controller, and Van Aaken box - $1600. We can do this now for $800.
Exhaust - $300
Intake - $250
Lift pump - $200

Pretty much that's it.

So I would expect to set aside $7000 all told just in case. This will give you performance that will exceed that of a 2006 400HP Covette automatic.

For 11's you need to add $6500 for a charger and dual fuelers.

Hopefully I will have a good estimate at running 10's on fuel in the near future. ;) We think Casper is about 11.4x as it sits today. It's 11.7x was run in towing trim on pump fuel only.

Tough Guy
10-28-2006, 20:11
On Casper (in 2005, it was the first stock charger 12 second LLY) it took this:

Built Allison - $4500. Didn't go cheap, and this is same trans I run mid 11's with. Minimum would be a Transgo kit and converter = $2000 includes fluids.
PPE tuner, PPE boost controller, and Van Aaken box - $1600. We can do this now for $800.
Exhaust - $300
Intake - $250
Lift pump - $200

Pretty much that's it.

So I would expect to set aside $7000 all told just in case. This will give you performance that will exceed that of a 2006 400HP Covette automatic.

For 11's you need to add $6500 for a charger and dual fuelers.

Hopefully I will have a good estimate at running 10's on fuel in the near future. ;) We think Casper is about 11.4x as it sits today. It's 11.7x was run in towing trim on pump fuel only.

Okay, so $13,500 will make 11's...is that a reliable daily driver? I ask because, I'm not made of enough money to separate track/dyno from work duty at this point...

Are your rods, pistons, heads/gaskets all stock?

Chris

McRat
10-29-2006, 07:34
Okay, so $13,500 will make 11's...is that a reliable daily driver? I ask because, I'm not made of enough money to separate track/dyno from work duty at this point...

Are your rods, pistons, heads/gaskets all stock?

Chris

Yes, engine is stock, including head studs and injectors.

As far as reliability goes, nobody knows for sure. There are several trucks over 650hp on fuel now with stock engines, and nobody has had a failure yet, but that does not mean they won't.

We are going to tear down Casper this winter and measure everything to see what the power did to the engine.

If you are expecting to add 400rwhp to a stock engine (~250rwhp) and achieve factory reliability, nope. Not a Cummins, not a Dmax, not a Ford. I can't even think of a gasser that doesn't have problems at 2.5x the factory output.

Tough Guy
10-29-2006, 18:18
Yes, engine is stock, including head studs and injectors.

As far as reliability goes, nobody knows for sure. There are several trucks over 650hp on fuel now with stock engines, and nobody has had a failure yet, but that does not mean they won't.

We are going to tear down Casper this winter and measure everything to see what the power did to the engine.

If you are expecting to add 400rwhp to a stock engine (~250rwhp) and achieve factory reliability, nope. Not a Cummins, not a Dmax, not a Ford. I can't even think of a gasser that doesn't have problems at 2.5x the factory output.

I completely agree with the bold in the above statement, however there is a big difference in performance gains done correctly, and those just looking for a fast track time or big numbers on the dyno....as with anything if you push it too far it will break...

How many miles on casper? Is the tear down needed or are you adding internal mods? Sounds like that thing is a real monster!!

Chris

McRat
10-31-2006, 08:51
GM beefed the rods, pistons and block to add 50HP.

If a diesel company wanted to go up past 650 rwhp, they would get the displacement up around 15 liters or more.

"Casper" is a very well behaved daily driver that tows up to 6000lb. There is nothing strange about it until you go past 25psi boost, then the acceleration goes from "brisk" to "scary" and you need to have 4wd engaged if you are under 70mph.

For reliability, I'd suggest not adding over 65rwhp to a Dmax (or Ford or Cummins) as the EGT's on late model trucks are already very high.

Casper will be torn down mostly to see what it looks like inside. It has 10,000 miles, (it's a late 2005) but also has several sled pulls and a few hundred (250-300?) 1/4mi drag strip passes. Only 30 have been with over 575rwhp though, none were lower than 475rwhp.

Tough Guy
11-02-2006, 20:51
GM beefed the rods, pistons and block to add 50HP.

If a diesel company wanted to go up past 650 rwhp, they would get the displacement up around 15 liters or more.

"Casper" is a very well behaved daily driver that tows up to 6000lb. There is nothing strange about it until you go past 25psi boost, then the acceleration goes from "brisk" to "scary" and you need to have 4wd engaged if you are under 70mph.

For reliability, I'd suggest not adding over 65rwhp to a Dmax (or Ford or Cummins) as the EGT's on late model trucks are already very high.

Casper will be torn down mostly to see what it looks like inside. It has 10,000 miles, (it's a late 2005) but also has several sled pulls and a few hundred (250-300?) 1/4mi drag strip passes. Only 30 have been with over 575rwhp though, none were lower than 475rwhp.

Do you have any timeslips you could post of your quickest times?