PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy Diesel dual program ECM

Mark Rinker
10-26-2006, 18:14
Had my first 360 mile road test with the Kennedy dual program ECM. Pulling 25' trailer and a light 3K load, I averaged nearly 15mpg for the day, most of it at 70mph as I was in a hurry and not trying to conserve fuel, but 'make time'. I would estimate that it was a solid 1.5mpg better than what I would have expected given the higher than normal speeds for the day.

Power is smooth, nice shift transitions and probably a better overall tune than GM ships from the factory, based on my first day towing.

I think my Predator is now demoted to 'pulling and resetting codes' duty...the Predator shift transitions are flat and throttle response is choppy and nothing you'd expect from the factory on the higher HP settings. It acts and feels 'aftermarket' in comparison to the Kennedy tune, and belches black smoke on the top settings with high EGTs.

Haven't spent much time testing the Kennedy high HP tune, but did try a few 2/3 throttle blasts with the empty trailer up rolling Wisconsin hills on I-94. Impressive. Same thing - very linear, no flat spots, no bad behavior. Feels like factory stock but lots MORE POWER than the truck came with.

A+ rating from MRE. I'll likely be adding the same to the '01 LB7, possibly integrating it with propane controls for additional range and economy.

SoTxPollock
10-28-2006, 14:47
Is Kennedy's dual program ecm custom for your particular application, or is it one he sells to anyone who understands EFI Live work requires real world knowledge of what to change for what you want the engine to do?

I've considered getting their program, but I don't think I could create a program as good as he could due to the difference in knowledge of diesel performance and equipment he has and I don't.

You've probably thought through that process enough times and deceided that buying his is much easier. I sware I don't know when that guy sleeps.

Tough Guy
10-28-2006, 15:01
Had my first 360 mile road test with the Kennedy dual program ECM. Pulling 25' trailer and a light 3K load, I averaged nearly 15mpg for the day, most of it at 70mph as I was in a hurry and not trying to conserve fuel, but 'make time'. I would estimate that it was a solid 1.5mpg better than what I would have expected given the higher than normal speeds for the day.

Power is smooth, nice shift transitions and probably a better overall tune than GM ships from the factory, based on my first day towing.

I think my Predator is now demoted to 'pulling and resetting codes' duty...the Predator shift transitions are flat and throttle response is choppy and nothing you'd expect from the factory on the higher HP settings. It acts and feels 'aftermarket' in comparison to the Kennedy tune, and belches black smoke on the top settings with high EGTs.

Haven't spent much time testing the Kennedy high HP tune, but did try a few 2/3 throttle blasts with the empty trailer up rolling Wisconsin hills on I-94. Impressive. Same thing - very linear, no flat spots, no bad behavior. Feels like factory stock but lots MORE POWER than the truck came with.

A+ rating from MRE. I'll likely be adding the same to the '01 LB7, possibly integrating it with propane controls for additional range and economy.

What were the EGT differences from before the Kennedy ECM?

Chris

Mark Rinker
10-29-2006, 17:57
Maybe JK can chime in and tell more about the tune. All I know is one is for economy/towing, and the other is a big ole can of whoop ass for fun!

Unfortunately, I don't have an EGT or boost gauge on the 2002 yet. No change in water temp or tranny temps. I plan to add the same digital gauge as on the 2001.

ToddMeister
10-30-2006, 06:37
What were the EGT differences from before the Kennedy ECM?

Chris

In my truck, J/K's economy tune runs about 100 degrees less than the stock tune.

Kennedy
10-30-2006, 07:05
Is Kennedy's dual program ecm custom for your particular application, or is it one he sells to anyone who understands EFI Live work requires real world knowledge of what to change for what you want the engine to do?

I've considered getting their program, but I don't think I could create a program as good as he could due to the difference in knowledge of diesel performance and equipment he has and I don't.

You've probably thought through that process enough times and deceided that buying his is much easier. I sware I don't know when that guy sleeps.

There will be 5 tune switchable capability soon, but to br honest, I see no need.

What Mark has is one of my "House" tunes customized for his needs. For my EFI Live customers, I do a simple quick (free) single tune to show the basics of what we are changing. Then the user takes it from there...