PDA

View Full Version : looking at a 98

bdbemm
10-26-2006, 19:41
Been gone for about a year and a half. My beloved 95 was totaled by a Honda that ran a red. Have been looking for another. Found a 98 long box, extended cab K2500 with 139k miles. Very clean truck. The owner just replaced the PMD and glow plugs on it. He put a relocation kit on the PMD. It has the original IP and injectors. I got him down to 7,500. It is wired for towing but he said he was not towed much with it.

After doing a little reading, I am suddenly not real excited about a 98. From reading TDP it seems all these blocks are cracking. I dont have the cash to buy the truck as my only vehicle and turn around and have to get a new motor. My 95 had 239k. Only had to put in 1 new IP and 4 PMDs. Was on the 3rd set of injectors and still running strong.

Any suggestions as to what I should look for or check?

Thanks

DA BIG ONE
10-27-2006, 03:00
99+ has about all the updates to engine & 4L80e GMC could provide w/IP's having ceramic rollers, trannies reinforced w/better parts, etc. From there aftermarket & Hummer solved a few tranny problems and the so-called cracked block problems.

Not sure cracked blocks are as wide spread as stories lead people to believe.

bdbemm
10-27-2006, 09:48
I did some more reading last night and it appears the cracked blocks are mainly with people that tow alot. I have a small pop up we take to the mountains. Throw junk in the bed to hunt/fish and stuff around the house. The main reason I wanted a long bed was to have room for a second tank so I could but a veggie system in. Has there been much cracking on just plain daily drivers. For all the other stuff in my life I screw up, vechile maintenance is my escape. In my previous truck I ran all synthetics with a by pass oil filter. Does good maintenance make a big difference on the 98.

bdbemm
10-28-2006, 21:49
I got the VIN, is the anything I should be looking for? Any helpo would be greatly appreciated. I am supposed to go look and test drive it on Monday.

Thanks
Bob