PDA

View Full Version : E85 fuel questions

tommac95
10-27-2006, 19:16
Somewhat offtopic. DOE and UnderwritersLaboratories are hosting hearings to foster standards for dispensing equipment for E85 gasohol ... as there are concerns about corrosivity of the current fuel in present pumping equipment.

"Ethanol Could Corrode Pumps, Testers Say
By ALEXEI BARRIONUEVO
Published: October 27, 2006
CHICAGO, Oct. 26

DmaxMaverick
10-27-2006, 19:46
Alcohol, either ethanol or methanol, is very reactive with aluminum. I've used it in racing motorcycle engine and model engines for years. If you don't do something to offset the reaction, it will cost plenty in a short time. We flushed the motorcycle engines with gas, and I use ATF to protect the model engines if they sit for more than a week or two.

I would be very concerned with storage of E85. The alcohol will absorb moisture from the air very quickly, and contaminate it. E85 vehicles must have a closed system to keep this from happening. Even so, I think I would use a dessicant in the air vent (like high pressure air systems), in addition to the charcoal cannister. It's amazing how fast it happens.

tommac95
10-29-2006, 18:36
Thanks, DMax.

The manager of our local boatyard says that the normal 10% gasahol (we ran MTBE here 'till a few years ago) has been really raising hell with some of the marine installations, particularly one of the Japanese-mfgd outboards. He also ominously noted that while clogged fuel filters on inboards essentially cause loss-of-power, on the remaining two-cycle machines, clogged filters starve the bearings of lube while starving the combustion chambers of fuel, severely crimping engine life (secs...minutes).

colt49
11-16-2006, 18:15
We can't see trying E-85 in vehicles that cost so much new. When you have no proof here of how they will last and what problems will show it is another experiment with society's money/cars. Brazil runs on Ethanol and have changed out the problems and fixed them so they run on pure Eth. if it's not too cold. When it sucks so much moisture and that stays in the fuel system when you have it parked I wonder how long these fuel systems and engines will take to show wead points. All these GM cars and trucks are E85 ready and no supply exists. The farmers are happy and the Eth plants are going up all over too. We can't afford to repair expensive motors and fuel systems from that Eth. The risk is to high. We bought diesels,truck,jeep, lawn mower. The only gas burner I have is the chain saw. The Eth. is very risky in the 2-cycles also. Diesel is so efficient and the maintenance is not extensive for what you get out of it for useage. The payback is immediate to us from the second we buy the diesel vehicle and start its life of service. We have had diesels since 93 and 2 gassers for try agains. We are back to diesels. 3 diesel pickups and 1 diesel VW proved to us the mileage is your payback and the resale is the bonus. All the diesels sold fast used and for top dollar. The last gassers sold for minimum value since the market is flooded with used cars. That is our position and we watch now. The new diesel is not risky compared to the Eth. in our view. The Eth looses energy when you need power uses up so much to get high power 60% MPG compared to gas. Diesel MPG is always on the best end even if you are loaded heavy. Gas motors can't compare and we know that. This forum is evidence there is intelligent life on earth.