PDA

View Full Version : Will 3500hd wheels fit 2500hd

Chris Hays
10-30-2006, 08:32
I went to dealership to ask for a price on the srw's for a 3500 truck to put on to my 2500hd.(Are these wheels rated for more weight than a 2500's wheels?)As the niceguy at the dealership proceeded to find me a price, a guy who works in the shop, and who i was not talking to butted in and said "They wont bolt up, its different". I proceeded to argue with him that they will as it is the same axle until he left saying "they wont fit, they wont fit, its your screwup when ya buy the wrong wheels!". Angry i left and went to another dealership where the guy couldnt tell me if they were different, could carry more weight or what day it was! WILL THESE WHEELS FIT. I am almost 99%positive that they are the same bolt pattern but now that idiot got it in my head that maybe im wrong, i cant help wondering. Put my mind at rest guys!

DmaxMaverick
10-30-2006, 09:06
3500HD wheels will not fit. As of M/Y 2001, there is no animal called 3500HD. The 3500HD was only available in a chassis/cab, was used for tow trucks and the like. Its GVWR was 15,000. I'm pretty sure this is not the truck you are talking about.

Now, if you are referring to the late model 3500 SRW, that's a different animal. The wheels will fit a 2001-present 2500HD. The wheels are NOT rated higher, they are 1/2" wider to accommodate 265/75/16 tires, and only available in steel. They are still rated lower than the PYO aluminum wheels. The early PYO's were made by Alcoa, but since about M/Y 2003, have been made by some company in Hungary, but the rating should still be the same.

For the price you would be considering for 3500 SRW wheels from the dealer, you could have a real nice set of aftermarkets (like Centerline, Weld, etc.), and they will meet your specifications. Not to mention, look good doing it. If you are not going to a tire wider than 265, a set of PYO take-offs can be had for around $500. 265's look and function well on the PYO's.

Chris Hays
10-30-2006, 09:52
I KNEW I WAS RIGHT!! LOL. What is the difference in the weight rating bettween the 2500hd's steel rims that i have and the aluminum rims that come on them??
ps, thanks for putting my mind at rest now!

DmaxMaverick
10-30-2006, 10:23
GM's published ratings can be misleading. They list only the axle ratings. USDOT requires OEMs to install wheels rated at least that of the tire, and axle ratings can't exceed the wheel/tire rating, and no more. Alcoa doesn't list the rating of the PYO because it is exclusive to GM allocation. Similar Alcoa forged wheels, different only in appearance, are rated in the 3500+ range. I don't know about the steel wheels, but you blew a steel wheel apart, so you would have a better opinion on that.

For your use, I think you should stay with your first line of thought. You need to focus on a commercial grade application, and get away from the OEM stuff. Have a look at Centerline's Extreme Duty line. They have a broad selection, and they are designed for heavy loading. I have a set, and they have served me well. I haven't seen loads on mine like you have, but well beyond what the OEM specs limit. You can get a look at what I installed by clicking on the "Truck Stuff Pics" in my sig. I have a set of Alcoa PYO take-off in my barn (OEM on my 2001), and compared them to the Centerlines I have installed now. The Centerlines are MUCH beefier than the OEMs. The disc on the Centerlines is twice as thick, and the rim is about 1.5 times as thick. I've been very pleased with them, and they have stayed true with about 100K on them, and much very heavy 5'er towing, and a lot of short hauls with over 6500# on the axle.

kburati
10-30-2006, 10:52
GM's published ratings can be misleading. They list only the axle ratings. USDOT requires OEMs to install wheels rated at least that of the tire, and axle ratings can't exceed the wheel/tire rating, and no more...

In that statement alone there's either an incorrect statement or GM has violated USDOT rules with the 3500SRW. If you look at the GM site under Dimensions/Capacities you'll see that the rear axle of the 3500 is rated at 9200 lbs. yet there's no way that the rear wheels/tires are rated to that capacity since the 265 E-Rated tires on the 3500SRW are 3415 each so 6830 is the max that rear end can handle. Rear Spring capacity on the other hand is only 6500, is that what you were referring to?

DmaxMaverick
10-30-2006, 11:33
In that statement alone there's either an incorrect statement or GM has violated USDOT rules with the 3500SRW. If you look at the GM site under Dimensions/Capacities you'll see that the rear axle of the 3500 is rated at 9200 lbs. yet there's no way that the rear wheels/tires are rated to that capacity since the 265 E-Rated tires on the 3500SRW are 3415 each so 6830 is the max that rear end can handle. Rear Spring capacity on the other hand is only 6500, is that what you were referring to?

The rear axle capacity of the 3500 DRW and SRW are different. The DRW also has additional/different springs. The statement isn't correct, but GM's (as well as other OEMs) consumer documentation is very misleading. Much fine print, and is only specific to the model specifically described, and only equipped as described. GM's capacities are only a baseline, and change with options equipped. Footnotes and fine print....