PDA

View Full Version : Plowing

Finman
10-30-2006, 12:28
I have a 05 DMax that I put a 8ft Western plow on when needed in the winter. My problem is the heater. When plowing around the yard I have plenty of heat but when I take her on the road, with the plow on, it gets rather chilly in the cab. I've tried re-positioning the plow (side to side and up and down) and it does not make any difference. Is this normal? Thanks

Mark Rinker
10-30-2006, 18:01
This seems odd. I have alot of plow experience with 6.5's, and one season with my 2001 Duramax. It always made good heat, and is the best all around plow truck I have ever operated. The Allison works great for plowing duty, I had been cautioned against them, but prefer them over the 4L80Es for this application.

If anything, overheating is usually the problem - from the obvious blocked airflow over the radiator caused by the plow. Why your heater would stop functioning properly is a mystery to me - but my guess is that you are actually seeing higher than normal coolant temps.

What does the water temperature gauge read, when the cold cab conditions happen?

Finman
10-31-2006, 10:04
The temp gauge reads the same as when the plow is not on it. I do agree that it is a nice rig for plowing. I had the same problem with my 03 .

trbankii
10-31-2006, 11:10
I'm with Mark, if anything you should have more heat due to blocked airflow...

Mark Rinker
10-31-2006, 11:58
Now we are getting somewhere. Did you use the same plow on your 2003? What is the make/model/length of the plow?

It only stands to reason that it is due to a drastic change in airflow around the front of the truck, caused by the plow. Your particular plow profile must cause such a high pressure build-up in front of the truck that it is reversing airflow that feeds your fresh air intake. Sounds crazy, but its the only logical conclusion.

Another question - were you running a winter front at the same time as your heating problem?

If it were me, I'd try these two things, in this order, IF the problem persists this winter.

1) Use the climate control setting that recirculates cab air, rather than introduces fresh air from the outside.

2) Duct tape over the cab vents between your cab and box, they might be opening up and allowing heat to escape as a result of strange airflow patterns.

3) Get a Western Ultramount 8' ProPlow instead. No problems with heat on my Duramax with this unit.

Finman
10-31-2006, 12:34
Thanks for the ideas. I do have a 8ft Western with the Ultra mount. And yes on the winter front

Mark Rinker
10-31-2006, 13:01
Weird. Try the cab recirculation settings, then the duct taped cab vents.

Or...slow down and roll up the windows...hahaha