PDA

View Full Version : Trans / engine oil temp same gauge?

sturgeon-phish
10-30-2006, 20:02
Another gauge question. I read on another thread of using the trans temp gauge to monitor engine oil temp too, using a switch for the display. With this in mind, how would I rig it and where would be a good spot to mount the engine oil temp probe?
Thank you all for replys!
Jim

Hubert
10-31-2006, 05:59
Oil pan would be most desirable "hottest" reading. They make thread adapters for the drain plug hole . You could put some quick disconnect on wires and take probe adapter out to change oil like normal. Or drop oil pan weld boss then drill/tap. Someone suggested the turbo oil drain but that sounds easier said than done and I think the oil if frothy there dunno?

Forgot to check your signature if remote mount oil filter w/ extra ports in filter head you could go there and use it as a reference temp.

Electronically not sure probably depends on switches you use and several ways to do it. You could put a toggle on both legs of each thermocouple line then open/close switches according to which probe you wanted to use.
Autometer or other gauge mfg probably has a selector switch as an accesory check out there website.

HammerWerf
10-31-2006, 18:05
Phish,

I've got something similar to what your asking in the C-30 Duallie. I have a single gauge that takes reads from two senders right now. I am using a dp dt switch( off in the middle) to select between the two. I am thinking of adding a rear axle and maybe an engine oil sender also. I'll have to upgrade to a rotary switch. Right now the gauge sits on the far side of dash, wedged in the corner. The gauge I am using is a Dat Com, the industrial line of Stewart-Warner. Really nice.

The wiring is not that complicated. the gauge goes in per the instructions. Each of the senders has its own wire up to the switch. The switch position ( up or down) selects the sender. A single wire from the switch goes to the gauge. the sender takes a minute to get the correct reading displayed. You need to use the senders that are designed for the gauge in all locations.

Does this help get you started.

HammerWerf

sturgeon-phish
10-31-2006, 18:28
I like the idea of the drain plug mount. Do you know where I can find the tapped drain plug? The DPDT switch sounds like the ticket.
Thanks a lot!!!
Jim

Hubert
11-01-2006, 06:08
I saw the adapters iirc M12x1.?? to 1/8 NPT on the autometer website and also autobarn or other big distributer etc. I think jegs and summit had the 1/2" threads listed but not the metric. Jegs or summit probably can order them from autometer or others for you. Not sure Autometer sells direct????