PDA

View Full Version : Any 6.5L issues with the ULSD fuel?

Tough Guy
10-30-2006, 20:28
I have a 99 Ford PSD and apparently the seals in the water separator drain valve are not Viton....It could be coincidence from miles, age etc... but it seems other PSD owners suffer from the same affliction, and all recently after the introduction of the ULSD..

Chris

DA BIG ONE
10-31-2006, 04:17
So far, so good, w/my 6.5 but I'm using more additives than before maybe over kill but I feel better doin it.

The 2000 F350 7.3TD gets the special treatment too..........

I remember around 93 I had to give up my MB diesel because there was a worldwide back order for the pump seals and I just couldn't deal with it at the time. Aside for the seal issue the MB diesel was about the best diesel I had ever owned.

crazpony
10-31-2006, 09:16
I've been using PowerService (8oz for 20gal) and haven't seen a problem using the ULSD and hopefully it will stay that way. :rolleyes:

trbankii
10-31-2006, 11:10
I picked up the issue of Diesel Power Magazine with a lot of ULSD information.

http://dieselpowermag.com/toc/0610dp+table_of_contents+large_thumbnail.jpg

One thing that they mentioned is that ULSD should not give problems for vehicles after 1993, but before that and you'll have problems with seals and hoses not being able to take whatever additives they are putting in the new stuff.

JeepSJ
10-31-2006, 12:36
So are there additives in the ULSD that require the use of Viton over rubber? That would cause a whole lot of grief to a whole lot of people if everyone suddenly needed to upgrade everything to viton.

redsuburban
10-31-2006, 13:24
I've noticed a slight increase in clatter. Don't yet know if its the ULSD or the 270,000 miles on the clock. An extra 1/2 to 1 quart of ATF with each fill up seems to quiet it down.

TurboDiverArt
10-31-2006, 20:20
The station I fill up at still has the 500PPM stickers on the pumps. When I contact Hess they said all their retail stations should be on 15PPM by 9/1/2006. Not that I'm complaining if it's still 500. I've already begun mixing Stanadyne Lubricity with Performance Formula with each fill-up. I'm not taking any chances....

Art.

big61fourby
11-01-2006, 15:45
The station I fill up at still has the 500PPM stickers on the pumps. Not that I'm complaining if it's still 500.
Art.

Hehe, so does mine. I suspect they're already running ULSD, but I really doubt the attendants have a clue.

I have been suffering from a turbo issue that I suspect is fuel related, although I really have no idea if it is due to ULSD or not...

RT
11-03-2006, 20:34
I run some kind of additive most of the time in my 93 C2500. Original IP with 240K. The first few tanks of ULSD have been great. More power, much less smoke, etc. I had been running B20 from a commercial supplier for some time before this and no issues with fuel filter clogging, leaks, etc. with the B20 or the ULSD. I believe the ULSD is much better quality than previous fuel as it is held to a much higher standard. RT

DA BIG ONE
11-04-2006, 03:07
I've already begun mixing Stanadyne Lubricity with Performance Formula with each fill-up. I'm not taking any chances....

Art.

It is a costly mistake indeed not to use above products, or any other quality products.......Considering the cost it's agood idea to have these products & spare fuel filters at hand while traveling.

TurboDiverArt
11-06-2006, 04:15
It is a costly mistake indeed not to use above products, or any other quality products.......Considering the cost it's agood idea to have these products & spare fuel filters at hand while traveling.
I would agree. It's like buying insurance! I also always have an extra fuel filter with me at all times.

Update, the Hess station now has the ULSD stickers on all pumps. The truckers are already complaining about it. Grumbling that it will keep the prices high.

Art.