PDA

View Full Version : Stereo system and cig lighter into a CUCV?

AJMBLAZER
10-31-2006, 05:24
Anybody ever done this? Looking to put a CD player, some speakers (nothing fancy, just some sound), and a cig lighter into my CUCV.

What did you do for an antenna?

Any issues?

I realize there's spots in the fuse box that can be used to power these items but I also am confused about just how you connect them to those spots? I've never done work with fuse boxes other than pulling and changing fuses.:confused:

Robyn
10-31-2006, 08:00
Just be sure the rig is 12 Volt.
I am not sure about the CUCV but many military rigs are 24 volt systems.
The easiest way is to find a wire under the dash of at least #14 that is switched (12 volts with key on) and tap into it and place an inline fuse between the source and the stereo and or butt lighter.
Some of the other folks here that have CUCV's may have a better solution.
You can also use a VOM and check various fuse slots to find one that is not being used and is hot with the key on. Simply plug a fused wire into the slot with a crimp on spade connector.
Most rigs will have some extras in the fuse block.
If your rig was Ex Military there should be some wires and stuff that were cut when it was demil'd.
If so check them with a meter to see whats up.
Hope this helps
Robyn

AJMBLAZER
10-31-2006, 11:00
It's a 24V start but the rest of the rig is 12V. That way they can jump other military vehicles but didn't have to completely redo the rest of wiring harness for just the CUCV's. As long as I don't hook anything directly to the batteries or a 24V wire it's just like any other older GM.

Is the crimp on spade connector the recommended way or is there an actual part for this? Just wondering as my father-in-law also recommended that.

L. H. Bridges
10-31-2006, 14:17
The wiring in the cab is mostly 12 volts. I can send you a wiring diagram if you need it or you could buy the whole pdf at

http://www.military-manuals.com/military_vehicles_manuals/cucv-utility-truck-cargo-vehicle/cucv-utility-cargo-vehicle-truck-m1008-m1009-m1010.html

I don't know if it is the exact pdf that I have, I bought mine about three years ago, but the one I have has 4,615 pages. It is a pdf so you can do a word search on it such as "wiring diagram" and all the sections pop up that have "wiring diagram" in it and you just click till you find what you need. It was the best $20.00 I spent on the truck. It has a lot of exploded diagrams that you can print out and take with you to the truck, while you work on it.

Back to your question I plugged a spade connector into the fuse box for a switched 12v source and added a inline fuse. That works too.

my email is CBridges@ssr-inc.com

Chip

AJMBLAZER
11-01-2006, 05:16
Hey thanks for the advice. I'm slowly starting this project as I'm slowly finishing regearing my DD.

Where did you mount your speakers?

Also, did you do anything about an antenna?

L. H. Bridges
11-01-2006, 11:29
The dash speaker locations are the same as a full size chevy. LMC truck has some speakers that will fit in the dash.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/0092.html

If your 1986 M1008 is like mine, the dash has a opening for a two post radio (knobs, old style) in the dash covered up with a plastic blank off plate. You can still get the old style radios, but most of the aftermarket radios go into a rectangular hole.

I needed a place to mount some toggle switches, so I used the plastic blank off plate to mount four toggle switches, it was easy and it came out nice. I haven't got to the radio yet, but I'm just going to mount it under the dash. Haven't done the antenna yet, but my M1008 had a 1" hole between the cab and truck bed. I think it was for a military radio that was mounted in the back of the truck. You could run the antenna cable through there and mount an antenna on the side of the truck bed

AJMBLAZER
11-01-2006, 12:46
Oy, for what LMC wants you can get some good Pioneers, Kenwoods, or Infinity's. Crutchfield has some nice Infinity 3.5's.

Someone actually showed me a hidden antenna sorta deal. Just this blocky thing you can hook up somewhere out of sight and supposedly gets good reception. Crutchfield carries them so that's likely what I'll do. Mine has the same holes in the rear of the cab so I'll probably either run it out that way and mount it in between the cab and the bed or mount it on the A-pillar or back of the cab inside the cab.

DmaxMaverick
11-01-2006, 12:52
Your model year didn't have a traditional antenna in most models. The aerial was sandwiched into the windshield laminant. If you are in need of a windshield replacement, just install one with the aerial. The connector is at the base of the glass, in the middle.