PDA

View Full Version : Front hub assembly

edenfies
10-31-2006, 09:32
I was just curious if anyone new of an aftermarket product to replace the stock front hub assembly. I'm planning on lifting my truck and don't want to replace hub assembly's every 15-30K miles. Also has anyone tried to beat the warranty after lifting there truck by just driving it in with stock tires. It seems like the tire size is what they focus on. Might look stupid, but it might work. Thanks for any feedback.

DmaxMaverick
10-31-2006, 10:13
Welcome to the Forums!

No aftermarket option. Shop around for the best price, though. Independent GM parts suppliers will have the best price. I've replaced one on my 2001, and was able to save about $150 off of GM list through a sympathetic dealer. They are not cheap! List is just shy of $400, each.

As far as failures go, they have been very reliable, even with various lifts and tire sizes. The likelyhood of your dealer looking past your lift depends on your relationship and the policy with that dealer. Some make an issue of it, others don't care. If you have one fail within 15-30K, I don't think your suspension mods would be the cause, although it can certainly accelerate a problem.

It is reasonable to assume larger tires will increase bearing wear, but there doesn't seem to be any indication of that. The bearings are pretty stout. Most issues involve the wheel speed sensor, not the actual bearing itself.

edenfies
10-31-2006, 10:18
Thanks for the response, I appreciate the information.

40grit
10-31-2006, 18:23
I had a lifted '01. It had a 6" superlift with 35" BFG A/T. I had to change one hub at 45K due to slop while trying to align front end. It didn't affect driveability other than a slight wandering. Expect to replace tie rod ends every 15 to 20K ...they wear out faster with bigger tires.

Chris Hays
11-01-2006, 20:30
Why does chevy put such skinny worthless tie rods on a heavy truck like that. Not so much the ball joint but the actual rod casting itself. Ford, dodge even toyota has bigger rods than my 2500 hd. I think if i hit a speed bump too fast they will snap like twigs!

40grit
11-02-2006, 18:08
actually, I hit a dip on a forest road at 5Kmiles, popped the upper ball joint out, then the lower, spindle and tire got stuck under the lower A arm, holding on by the tierod, drove it like that for 2 miles with the tire outside facedown in the dirt, only the tierod and the weight of the truck holding the junk in place. I had to drive it to get back to where AAA would tow it...that tie rod lasted another 40K miles, it was bent a little, but it took awhile to need replacement...heck, they are only $40something from the dealer...

siggy
03-16-2007, 18:46
I was out of state last week and had my front hub go out/start grinding. I'd replaced one side at about 90K, now she's at 114,000 or so. Thought I was in for a painful le$$on, being in a very small town. The owner of the local Parts Plus store said he could get me the part for $249. Having paid considerably more previously, I was skeptical he was referencing the correct item. It came in, exactly the right assembly and the Timken part even came with all new clips for mounting the sensor wire. Just thought I would pass this on. Timken # on the box is SP580304.

Luis
03-24-2007, 17:43
I've read several different threads on brake replacement etc...One said 22mm box extension for 1/2" drive extension; T55 torex for the caliper bracket...any other special tools required if I were to replace hubs and brakes? Thanks in advance...