PDA

View Full Version : Noise in front end when wet?

xcspxlt
10-31-2006, 13:14
I have been experiencing this problem for 3-4 years off and on. It only occurs when it is raining very hard and traveling at highway speeds or during a very sloppy wet snowfall in 2 Wheel Drive. In both cases it may be related to one or both of the front wheels hydroplaning slightly.
I hear o noise (slight growl) and start to slow down. When speed reaches less than 15MPH the niose seems to be the right front wheel/axle as if it is trying to engage gears for 4 wheel drive.:confused: If I engage 4 whl dr. at this point the noise stops and does not return when I go back to 2 whl dr. If I do not engage 4 whl dr. the meshing sound gets louder until around 5 MPH it clunks(engages) and the noise stops. :eek:
I have looked at the schematic and the solenoid for engaging the axles is activated by the transfer case lever and should light the light for 4 whl drive if under power. The light is not on. I have checked all connections and cleaned then without any help. :(
I just verified that if both front wheels are off the ground they spin freely and do not cause the other tire to spin.
Any Ideas out there. Has anyone else experienced this problem in the past???? Could just one wheel hydroplaning and changing speeds be causing this???? As I said this only occurs a few times a year under very wet conditions.
Thanks for any help you can offer!:confused:

xcspxlt
11-01-2006, 05:35
Got so involved in describing the problem forgot to mention, 1995 K2500, HD, 6.5 TDsl. 117,000 miles. Have had this problem since purchasing the truck with 60k on it.
Thanks again.