PDA

View Full Version : strong fuel smell from exhaust

cndnls
11-02-2006, 09:53
I just had my injectors replaced, everything runs fine except there is now a strong fuel smell from the tailpipe. could this be because the weather is cooler? or maybe the injectors still? thanks in advance for the info! 02' d-max

Quack_Addict
11-02-2006, 13:49
Are you noticing the smell at start-up or after the engine has reached operating temperature? If only when the engine is cold, I would suspect that's the likely culprit.

cndnls
11-02-2006, 19:25
cold or hot strong smell of fuel smells like it did when inj. were bad! but no smoke no loss of power. maybe I am paranoid and everything is allright?:confused:

DmaxMaverick
11-02-2006, 19:43
If the underside of your truck got covered with oil/fuel, it will take a long time for that to clear up. No matter how well it got cleaned.

Also, the oil should have been changed immediately following the new injectors. What oil did they use? Some have a more prominent odor than others.

If you have a cat, it could have been saturated, and that will take time. You should be back to smelling rotten eggs in no time.

No smoke. No power loss. No noises. Smooth running. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Run it a couple thousand miles, then re-evaluate it.

Mark Rinker
11-03-2006, 04:13
Put a load behind the truck and make it work. I swear the harder I use these engines, the better they run. Nothing like some moderately high EGTs to dry out that cat and burn all the unburned fuel and soot out of the exhaust.

cndnls
11-03-2006, 09:17
They did change the oil and used quacker? state. no cat but I will do what was recomended! thanks for your help!