PDA

View Full Version : Installing FSD cooler

CaseyR
11-02-2006, 22:16
I just installed a new FSD and cooler from Kennedy Diesel. It seems to have solved my drivability problem and the setting of 35 and 36 codes. However, it is now mounted on top of the intake manifold plenum, which Kennedy's site and several posts to this forum have indicated is not the ideal placement. Kennedy's site has a photo of the cooler installed in front of the batter, which looks like a pretty good place for it.

While I think Kennedy's service has been excellent, his instructions are definitely not going to win any acolades. I have yet to bug him for specific instructions on the installation, thinking I would gather some wisdom here instead. The radiator support struts to which the cooler would be attached is some moderately hefty sheet metal. I doubt that it is thick enough to hold many threads, so standard NC or NF bolts may not hold too well. A possiblity is 1/4" or even 5/16" self tapping screws, sheet metal screws, or, I guess, even lag bolts.

If anyone has found the ideal fastener for this, I would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.

DA BIG ONE
11-03-2006, 03:39
JK's cooler w/extended harness will mount to the lower leading edge of the driverside wheelwell after drilling 1 hole in cooler to mount there coolong fins forward in airstream. If I remember right the two bolts there are for a bumper bracket. There should be a heavy tar paper flap mounted at that point to cast off any junk thrown up by tire at speed, if not then some silicone will isolate driver rather well. I've had my driver coated w/silicone for years now no damage whatsoever.

a5150nut
11-03-2006, 14:45
On your 94 there is on bolt hole already there with a weld nut in place in front of the left battery. Quite a simple fix. I added wire to my existing harness to make it reach the new location. Solider and use heat shrink to seal things up.