PDA

View Full Version : Replacing battery cable to starter motor

robbt
11-03-2006, 15:48
So the connection to the starter on my 6.2L GMC diesel vandura school bus broke as well as another part of the cable started to melt where somehow it was exposed and touching metal, this happened after the bus started making a loud grinding noise right after I started it.

I'm trying to replace the cable but the one I bought at the autoparts store seems a bit thinner gauge and also I'm not sure how to connect the rest of the electrical system as it seems that the cable that goes to the starter splits off and runs the rest of the electricity from a sort of splitter. So I have a few questions to kind of verify my deductions with some help from people who know.

The cable that runs to the starter is from the positive terminal right ? I had thought it was the negative and then tracing the cables I realized negative was ground.

Would you guys recommend returning the cheap cable I got at the autoparts store and trying to contact the GMC parts store and find a factory replacement which would be more appropriate ?

I guess that's where I'm leaning, I just thought I'd seek out some advice in case I'm wrong.

thanks for any help,
robb

JohnC
11-04-2006, 14:13
Diesels can be tough to start. Bigger is better in the cable department.

Maybe the grinding noise was from the starter staying engaged. Did the solenoid wire melt too?

Yes, the rest of the electrical system feeds off the same cable.