PDA

View Full Version : SOL D revisited and some observations

Robyn
11-05-2006, 20:26
Hello again from the Planet SOL D
Well the Burb has been running wonderful since the rebuild. I put the Sol D right back up top when I reinstalled the engine.
The initial fire up was great and it is just sweet.
About a month ago the new (rebuilt) starter took a poop and started slowing down noticeably and even though the engine was turning over fair and the temp outside was still very moderate the thing would not start at all.
I jumped it off the big trucks 4 big batteries and it lit right off.
I replaced the starter with a warranty one and then rewired the starter solenoid to pull off of a relay instead of asking the ignition switch to do all the work and subsequently pulling power off the main harness.
The rig starts wonderful and we have had some mornings now that have been in the mid 20's F and all went well on an overnight cold start. I wait about 3 seconds after the glow light goes out and the things jumps to life with hardly a full turn on the engine by the starter.
The issue with the SOL D is definately voltage related. The rewiring of the starter solenoid really helped the issue.
Just a note for anyone still wondering about the SOL D
The unit has been on the truck now for 5000 miles and 2 years I think and other than the one cold issue last winter its been fine.

gmctd
11-06-2006, 12:09
Similar results with the FSD - low batt volts gives longer crank times, possible DTC36 - long closure time - starts happening every Fall\Winter.