PDA

View Full Version : Rear axle seal leaking

WILLYD-MAX
11-06-2006, 18:12
My rear axle seal on the drivers side is leaking. I did a search and came up with some good info on using alldata.com so I signed up for it but now I can't find what I'm looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to find a specific section for the rear seal replacement. This is on my 05. Thanks

DmaxMaverick
11-06-2006, 18:35
Transmission and Drivetrain

-Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints

-Wheel Bearing

AND !!!!

-Axle Bearing

-Adjustments (revised tightening procedure)

There's also more descript parts breakdowns under "Diagrams".

WILLYD-MAX
11-06-2006, 18:54
DmaxMaverick....
Thank you!!!
For some dumb reason I could not figure out how to navigate alldata. Would you recommend gmpartsdirect? Also where could I get the axle nut tool?

chipper
11-06-2006, 19:36
DmaxMaverick....
Thank you!!!
For some dumb reason I could not figure out how to navigate alldata. Would you recommend gmpartsdirect? Also where could I get the axle nut tool?

Nut tool at NAPA also seal.

WILLYD-MAX
11-06-2006, 19:47
Thank you chipper!

DmaxMaverick
11-06-2006, 19:51
Napa, Autozone, or C/S/K should have the seal and tool. The tool will be necessary for the reinstall. You also need a torque wrench. Be sure to follow the instructions closely. The nut is tightened hand tight, after it is torqued, then loosened.

gmpartsdirect.com is OK, but the shipping would probably be excessive for just a seal. If you are ordering a bunch of stuff, heavy items, or need it absolutely, positively, they are pretty good. They are very consistent, in my experience. You really have to watch their S/H. You might try www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com) . They are also a GM/Delco distributor with a nice online catalog. Their prices are a little higher than gmpd, but their shipping is better on small stuff. The best approach I've found is fill your "shopping cart" with the stuff you need at both sites, then compare the bottom line. Even at the worst, it will be better than the dealer for over $30 of stuff. If all you need is seals, you are probably better off at the dealer. Also, don't forget the axle flange gasket, or sealer, if you don't want to use a gasket (I don't like leaky axle flange gaskets).

DmaxMaverick
11-06-2006, 20:05
Also.....

Drums or discs? Can't remember for the '05. Anyway, check the shoes/pads. If you have disc, and the E-brake shoes get lube soaked, you will want to replace them while you are in there.

If the main shoes/pads have lube on them, and it's not too bad, some get away with cleaning with brake cleaner. If they are saturated, they need to be replaced.

PS...
If you still have warranty left, the seals will be covered.

WILLYD-MAX
11-07-2006, 18:57
DmaxMaverick...
I do have a torque wrench. I didn't think about the flange gasket. Thank you for the help, much appreciate it. I ordered from gmpartsdirect and I did notice the shipping ripped me. I don't have a good gm dealer very close so shipping things is pretty normal for me. I do have discs so I will check them out. This site is worth every penny and then some!!

DmaxMaverick
11-07-2006, 20:01
Since you have rear disc, those E-brake shoes need special attention. If ANY lube has contaminated the shoes, replace them. The lube won't get burned off like on main service shoes/pads, and the shoes will soften and degrade rather quickly.

The shoes I am refering to are INSIDE the brake rotor. The rotor is called "drum in hat", and has smaller "normal" brake shoes inside a drum for the E-brake. Check and lube all the linkage/cables. The E-brake hardware has an issue with corrosion in the salt belt, and some grease or corrosion protection is a good idea while you are in there. It is a good system, but is prone to dirt/salt entrapment under the right (wrong) conditions.

WILLYD-MAX
11-07-2006, 20:21
Are the e brake shoes fairly easy, common to get at parts stores? Any special tools for the operation on the e brakes?

DmaxMaverick
11-07-2006, 21:05
Autozone currently lists the shoes, but I think they are an order only item. They do show them available for online order. Part # 771 in the Duralast line. $33...not too bad. I haven't checked any other stores, but they are available. I checked with Napa a couple years ago, and they scared me out of the store with the price. GM dealer list is $222 for a lining "kit". Gmpd is $115. Autozone ain't lookin' too bad!!

I don't recall needing any special tools. They're pretty simple. If you are only servicing one side, I don't feel you have to do both sides of the E-brakes. Just do the leaky side, and hang onto the other new shoes for the next time. Balance isn't an issue with E-brakes, unlike main service brakes.

WILLYD-MAX
11-08-2006, 17:52
Thanks.. I am heading for the parts store tonight

YZF1R
11-08-2006, 18:13
Mine seem to last about one year before I can tell the seal is seeping again due to slow loss of the parking brake. After two years it will barely hold the truck on any kind of a grade. I have never had seals leak like this on a light duty truck or car. Wheel seals have been around for what, one hundred years or so? I'm thinking they cheaped out on the finish where the seal rides on the axle. This is rediculous every couple years. Can one get a speedy sleeve like we do for the big trucks? There is no reason to have to put up with this. I've seen this type of post a number of times over the years.

Steve

DmaxMaverick
11-08-2006, 19:06
If a Speedy Sleeve is available, that may be the answer if you have 2 or more failures.

One seal failure can be attributed to too many variables, so I don't think I'd jump at it right away. If you properly replace a leaky seal, and it leaks again in an abnormal period, the problem isn't the seal, and the spindle surface should be examined. If you have the means, the spindle should be examined at the first failure. Just about any surface imperfection will cause premature seal failure. If you have one seal replaced under warranty, GM should be responsible for any later premature failure. In this case, the defect was present at the time of the first repair, and wasn't "repaired".

YZF1R
11-09-2006, 17:41
Thanks for the reply. This will be the second time. The dealer did the first one. The brake has been about gone most of this year.

Steve