PDA

View Full Version : A lil more lift

bmp34
11-07-2006, 01:01
I have a 93 chevy ex cab long box 4x4 5sp and before i go to college my plan is to put 3.42 gears front and rear (free-some guy wants my 4.10 and will switch em out for me) and i would like to lift my front end like 2+ inches to get 33in tires on it all around. I will never tow and am looking at good fuel mileage for going on the interstate alot. I heard people say to turn the Torsion bars on the front? I am kind of puzzled and would like some input. Thank you

DA BIG ONE
11-08-2006, 04:09
I'm thinking the money you can save w/o a lift kit then trimming or rolling back of fender lower edge about 1.5" and maybe moving bumper forward using about 1/2 to 3/4" worth of washers installed between bumper and mount will go far with your project. If using 255/85R16 33" no trimming no nothing is need to use this size, fits stock wheel too........

I run 285/75/r16 on ALCOA forged wheels no issues after I after fender trim, my frt/bumper is aftermarket so it was not an issue in my install.

Cranking torson keys, that's a flip of the coin, you would be better served w/Bilstein HD shocks.

You need to consider the extra weight of bigger tire/wheel combos too.

As for gears, 33" tires already change ratio, so 3.42 set w/bring it it say 3.10+- I'm thinking that may kill your milage, try your 33" first "remember you need to hack VSSB to correct speedo reading" this wed has a book that can tell ya how to do it yourself, e-mail and ask em which one it is and buy it..........

1 Broke Dad
11-16-2006, 20:39
I have a question on this whole cranking up the torsion bars way of lifting. I have been told that this ruins your ride quality. Is this true? I also read that if you buy good shocks after cranking them up, it isn't that bad. Can you effectively crank them up and still have a good ride and tires still aligned properly?

Thanks.

DA BIG ONE
11-17-2006, 01:42
Some say yes, others say no.

On 4wd you change axleshaft angles stressing CV joints and most probably have control arms to the point of not having the proper travel and smacking hard the arm stops, or even sitting on stops w/o travel this leads to all kinds of problems.