PDA

View Full Version : Robyn

DA BIG ONE
11-07-2006, 04:14
I've seen a few IC air/air setups that have the "MACK tip turbine fan" cooling the IC, I know the turbine fan is about 13 lbs+- not sure of its actual size; What do you think about using on of these tip turbine fans to cool the IC in say my burb?

Knowing well there is not really great place to put an IC on most of our trucks, I'm thinking tip turbine fan here! As this fan uses bleed air from the compressor side of the turbo to drive it I'm thinking it may be the trick to cool even the most extreme compressed aircharge.

Robyn
11-07-2006, 08:23
I am not familiar with this setup
All the big truck stuff I have seen personally have the charge cooler up in front of the radiator where its cool.
Big issue with our little trucks is a place to hide the thing.
I really think working out a spot to hide a small air to air unit close to the front if possible.
Big problem is getting stuff situated so you dont block the air flow to the radiator.
Now there is a nice place down under the radiator just above the skid pan that covers the area between the bumper and the frame.
I am thinking an IC located there and an electric fan with air ducted from the front to it.
Again space is the big IF

JohnC
11-07-2006, 11:32
As this fan uses bleed air from the compressor side of the turbo to drive it I'm thinking it may be the trick to cool even the most extreme compressed aircharge.

Me thinks you're goona need a bigger turbo...

DA BIG ONE
11-08-2006, 03:56
Me thinks you're goona need a bigger turbo...

I'm thinking performance 7.3 powerstroke turbo here.

As the MACK truck has lots of room under the hood I saw the mack tip turbine fan installed in a Porche Carrara turbo blowing on IC and even helping keeping the powerplant cool too w/some mods to the porche rear hood so it stands off body slightly.

JeepSJ
11-08-2006, 09:06
We need some pictures of this device.

DA BIG ONE
11-08-2006, 11:16
We need some pictures of this device.

Unit look like a big turbo compressor except it drives a turbine fan, whole unit about the size of 4 GM-8 compressor housings stacked.