PDA

View Full Version : noise engine

redman1940
11-07-2006, 15:58
Have a 01 and have had very few problems. The engine noise level inside the cab has increased the last 10,000 miles or so. Sounds like the valve train. Also have a surg at idle. In the old days they would run the rack (on the big trucks) . I'm taking it in for service and want them to check for this problem., Is there anything besides checking the fuel pressure ect.that i should have them check for. ps 84000 miles

Thanks Redman1940

More Power
11-08-2006, 11:23
An increase in combustion noise could be due to an injector issue. You didn't mention what the injector service history has been for this truck, but if the injectors you have now are original, they may be suspect - with the mileage you have on them. The injectors are covered by an extended warranty for a narrowly defined set of failures. Yours may or may not fit into the warranty guidelines (if you actually have an injector problem).

The surge at idle could be due to the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) having some minor issue. Change your fuel filter before suspecting the FPR. This'll (FPR replacement) be an out of warranty repair if the surge is a problem for you. My 2001 has had a minor idle surge for about 10,000 miles. I don't consider it enough of a problem to warrant replacement.

Jim

lovette
11-09-2006, 14:16
Redman, please let us know what you find out. Ive also recently noticed increased noise, esp 1400-1800 RPM light to moderate throttle, sounds like valvetrain noise, slight vibration. No smoke, oil levels okay. Balance rates with Predator all well within spec, only one is 2, the rest are all 1.5 to less than 1. I'm at 64,000 miles, '03 lb7, original injectors. No codes either. Filter change did nothing. Neither did a "healthy" dose of FPPF.

Still has plenty of power, though.

AEmedic
11-09-2006, 15:19
I have an 02 with the D/A and from about 1500 rpm and up it used to sound like the lifters were making all kinds of noise, it was louder under load and was worse as it warmed up. The truck seemed weaker than it should, but had none of the other symptoms of injector failure (smoke, fuel in oil, or high return rates).
I took it to the dealer and they said that it was all normal, but it didn't sound normal to me for a dmax with 83k miles on it.
The recall for the fuel filter had not been done so I had the dealer change the fuel filter when they ran the diagnostic on the injectors. The noise was unchanged.
I went to another dealer for a second opinion and they agreed to change all the injectors under warranty. I just had to take it to a dealer about 100 miles away.
When I got it back from Helena, MT the truck runs better than ever. It is SO much quieter!! Lots more power than previous.
Thanks to Lithia Chevrolet, all eight injectors and many of the fuel lines were replaced. It completely solved the problem.

lovette
11-11-2006, 07:45
I'll add that I just drove from Gulfport, MS to Chattanooga, TN, got 21.8 mpg with Juice level 3, hand calculated (DIC actually close at 21.9).

starwatcher
11-11-2006, 13:08
Hi all

My 02 D/A started making more noise a few weeks ago then started putting out grey smoke at warm idle. I think part of the noise might be due to using the ultra low sulfur stuff from the Flying J, thats when the noise started. I filled up today at an out of town station that still has low sulfur for $2.51 (thought I was dreaming when I saw that 'low' price!) and it's somewhat quieter.

Anyhow I took it to Bennet Motors in Great Falls (I'd take it to the Ford dealer before going to City Chevy!!) Found the #1 injector bad, will go in Monday to get all 8 replaced with a free loaner car while the trucks in the shop. Can't beat that. I look forward to having it run 'right' again. Now if I could just find some BioDiesel in the area.

John

AEmedic
11-12-2006, 14:02
I'd take it to the Ford dealer before going to City Chevy!!

I second that! City is horrible!

Are you stationed at Malmstrom or just live in GF?

starwatcher
11-12-2006, 20:25
Hi AEmedic

I'm retired AF, live in Sun Prairie west of GTF. Was a B-52 Line chief, retired and PSC'd here with my wife who was NCOIC of social actions at Malmstrom in early 90's till she retired. Now it's the DMax, photography, astronomy and my wife and not in that order !

John

lovette
11-26-2006, 18:18
Any update, Redman? The way mine sounds, I could swear mine is a lifter/valve out of spec.