PDA

View Full Version : New blood

Darwin6.5
08-15-2005, 23:03
Hello all. I have just joined this site in the hope of obtaining some enlightenment. I am in Australia and although the 6.5 is becomming more common, mechanics and users with a credible amount of experience are few and far between, at the moment anyway.

I drive a Chev Suburban with the 6.5TD. It is the 4x4 model in the LT 2500 series. It has 160K kilometers on it to date and the steering wheel is on the wrong side for you lot.

I have five kids so it comes in really handy.

I do quite a bit of 4wd running in it (contrary to the advice that it is not a suitable 4wd).

I am hoping to learn a bit more aboout the beast and find out the diff ratios etc and a few general topics / specs for the Aussie model.

I ask that you be patient, I will attempt to find out what I can via the search feature, otherwise I'm at your mercy.

Cheers

GMCHORSHAM
08-15-2005, 23:56
Hi Darwin6.5, welcome to TDP, I have been a member for a few years, you won't regreat your
decision to join.
Its a great resource for us somewhat isolated Aussies.I have asked for information on a number of occasions and you can bet,that if it is a 6.5TD, the answer will not be long in coming.
Enjoy your membership, there are some excellent tips on improvements that would make your Sub, just that bit more reliable.
Check out Kennedy Diesel Site, also their are some great reports,Ron-Joe a TDP Moderator has just completed an engine rebuild. His reports about the rebuild have just hit TDP. RJ's report style and detail are 1st rate.
Regards; Rod.

DChristie
08-16-2005, 04:17
Welcome indeed!

I was pleasantly surprised to read you are in Darwin.

I visited there for a week compliments of the US Navy a few years ago. My shipmates and I found a microbrewery which we proceded to drink dry... it was a very sad thing, really great beer and not enough of it.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase of a 6.5TD! IIRC there aren't too many overweight people in Darwin...I was told by a local "the heat kills 'em". The same can happen to your sub.

You didn't list the year of manufacture. If it was pre '97 there are cooling upgrades available, but with only 160k on the clock I suspect it is new enough to already have the upgraded system.

Again welcome to the diesel page, it is a great source if information.

DChristie

More Power
08-16-2005, 12:31
Yes, welcome!

At last count, we had 71 current TDP members from Australia. One member, a Leo Wignell from Euroa, Victoria Australia attended the 2001 Rendezvous held in Ohio. Leo has operated a diesel conversion business for many years, and now concentrates on the 6.5 - for mostly Ford pickups. :D

Jim

Darwin6.5
08-16-2005, 14:39
GMCHORSHAM, Good to hear from you, I suspect you won't be having any overheating problems at the moment.

DC Christie, It never ceases to amaze me how much alcohol servicemen can drink. I think you are cooped up to long. We have a couple of your boats in at the moment.

My vehicle is a 98 Model and I love it. I have not yet had any overheating problems, other than when I have had it in the sandhills and have been running slow under load. I generally don't pull over 2 Tonne or so. This hardly makes it sweat. We have no speed limit on the open road up here (down then up for some). I can't get more than 170KM/ PH out of her. Not that I drive it like that all the time anyway.

Thanks again for your posts, look forward to hearing from you in the future.